Football Programmes Centre

Saturday afternoon matches
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Saturday afternoon matches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm 
Post subject: Saturday afternoon matches

Just passing a bit of time in the pub before watching Blackpool v Shrewsbury in just over an hour.

I get the impression that although there are many posters on here who regularly follow their team, or watch the local non-league team, there are plenty who don't watch live football on a Saturday.

Some of this is obviously down to Sky and BT with kick off times, but out of interest, who is going to a game today (or went to one if you don't read this until later) and if not why not?
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

Sheffield Wednesday asking for too much to enter their ground to watch a Championship football match! £36. Shocked My daughter, now 16, who also comes with me around the country following the Bees - she's been to 32 away grounds already in her short 8 years of supporting Brentford - £20! Mad

£56 in entrance fees. Plus diesel or train fare. Plus food and drink for the day. Over £150 I reckon. Not a hope in hell's chance of Sheffield receiving any of my money. Smile
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:51 pm 
Post subject:

what is saturday afternoon football ? None of our last 5 league matches have been on a saturday afternoon and none of our next 6 are either.
Dinky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

Was at Celtic v Ross County. 2-0 victory, can't beat Saturday football
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

Perks of being in the lower (lowest!) league.......Saturday three o'clock kick off.......was at the Park today for the visit of Bristol Rovers.....I believe pay on the day is £20 as a season ticket holder it works out cheaper per game...something like £18 a game! Much better entertainment today unlike last week against Leyton Orient! Good turn out by the Gas following but a three one home win was well deserved. Play up Pompey!
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

As 'pompeyphil' states......if its a saturday and 3 o'clock and pompey are home.......its fratton park for me over the last 50 years or so.
Season ticket holder for over 30 years.......

No sky tv for me.....to see money grabbers in the premiership.....

Div 2.....fine by me.

Now they are getting £100M each it becoming a closed shop......

Good luck to them but there will be a downside in the transfer market.....no premiership team will sale to another as they are all so rich.....

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
blueshearer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

Went to watch another uninspiring performance by Rovers today. All the "Bowyer out" crowd should be hanging their heads in shame now.

Prefer Saturday afternoon games especially away ones. Early set off on the train and a trail around the best pubs in whichever town we are playing before the game.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

I was at Selhurst Pk today for yet another home defeat against very average opposition. I have a season ticket half way back behind the goal
which cost me £460 for 19 league games and it's frozen for next year. The way we're going I'll get 23 home league games next season. Who said "Pardew for England"?

I've had that seat in the Holmesdale since the stand was built in 1994/5 and before that stood every game in much the same place - as did my grandfather back in 1924 when the ground opened.

I've done about 60 away grounds watching Palace but rarely venture away nowadays. The cost is one issue but time is the greater, along with having a sickly partner who needs me to be here quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

blueshearer wrote:
Went to watch another uninspiring performance by Rovers today. All the "Bowyer out" crowd should be hanging their heads in shame now.

Prefer Saturday afternoon games especially away ones. Early set off on the train and a trail around the best pubs in whichever town we are playing before the game.

I don't recall hearing any "Bowyer Out" at home games, it was all online. The football is no better or worse under Lambert, its been pretty uninspiring all season - 3 wins out of 14 league games and just 12 goals is evidence of that.

Kicking off at anytime other than 3pm on a Saturday is the price PL teams pay for taking £100m+ off Sky each season and I'm sure supporters of those clubs would find little sympathy outside the top flight for that.
notreve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

Back from Goodison watching another "phenomenal" performance that resulted in a defeat!!! Heresy I know but I always look forward to Everton playing on a Sunday so that I can watch non-league footie on the Saturday too- love travelling to new places to watch a match!
Think it will be somewhere in Sussex on the last Saturday of this month
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:39 pm 
Post subject:

Cheapest return rail fare from here to Derby is £169 - and that means hanging around from 2am to 6.30am in Newcastle station. I wouldn't have minded when I was 21...but not now!

Anyway, I could acquire a decent pre-war programme for that outlay.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

Not too fussed if a game is moved from 3pm Saturday to another time at the weekend....

biggest annoyance is Monday night games, particularly aways.

And from next season, Friday nights.

Utter nuisance
NWM Football

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47 am 
Post subject:

Managed a London double header !

Was at QPR v. Fulham, left with about five mins to go (so missed QPR's consolation), jumped on Central Lane, and was at Brisbane Road just after five past three for Orient v Northampton. (White City to Leyton on tube was just over 35 mins). Some real quality finishing from Northampton in second half.

Have not long finished loading car for tomorrow, have stall at Antiques & Collectors Fair in Potters Bar tomorrow.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
beaudog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 am 
Post subject:

As one gets older into their seventies the joys of looking forward to 3 0'clock on alternate Saturday afternoon recedes into the distant past. The premiership has a lot going for it but for me I do not feel the pull to go to a match, taking about five hours plus out of the day, being froze to death in an unforgiving stadium, surrounded by moronic foul mouthed chanters, who seem to have little interest in the match and far more affection to the travelling supporters. In the time that Stoke city have been in the Premiership I have seen one home game. I am afraid my loyalty , having watched them man and boy for almost 50 years has been replaced by ," it's more comfortable to stay at home and not support the interests of big cash, the television and sponsor's money that has spoiled the game that I loved."
Karb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 am 
Post subject:

I was at the Stadium of Light, but I have to confess that I'm not there every match, only if I'm not busy with the kids. It's a 450 mile round trip, which entails me being out of the house for around 16 hours so I generally only do around 7 or 8 home games a season nowadays
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:02 am 
Post subject: Saturday afternoon matches

Since I moved to Devon eight years ago, sadly the Lane has become a stranger to me after over 40 years of loyal service and over seventy away grounds under my belt. This weekend Torquay was called off and the thought of going to Plymouth was a non starter as my girlfriend is not too thrilled at my announcement earlier in the week that I am not moving away from the box today (Valentine's Day!!) for eight hours! COYS!!
NeilP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:47 am 
Post subject:

I was at the Livingston v Hibs game last night. A 5.15pm kick off, a dire match primarily due to the appalling weather, it had me thinking more about playing football in the summer rather than being too bothered about it not being a 3pm Saturday match.
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
what is saturday afternoon football ? None of our last 5 league matches have been on a saturday afternoon and none of our next 6 are either.

Sky never think about the fans our game against you is only kicking off at 12 because
both teams are in the top 4 which we never expected to be still I have a nice weekend in London rather than there and back in one day. And transport links on a Sunday are crap.
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:41 pm 
Post subject:

Was at a Sheffield County Senior League Cup match just outside Barnsley to watch two teams (including my lad) give there all in a 6-3 win for our team. Enjoyed every minute of it including a couple of pints afterwards

No 3.00 kick offs in February - none of the clubs we play at have floodlights. We kicked off at 1.30 and were back in the pub to watch the final scores
tbfacsm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

i am off to Manchester City v Tottenham today
A game between two potentially exciting top four clubs is something to look forward to.I am taking two of my family and at just over £40 a ticket it's a lot cheaper than 3 show tickets i had to buy in the West End last week.
I suppose if you want cheap,then watch a drama on the telly as well as the game on the telly
However if you want a life then you can't beat the smell of Ellimans rub at the ground or the greasepaint at the theatre
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: