Football Programmes Centre

Error badges
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Error badges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superblue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:55 pm 
Post subject: Error badges

After chatting with someone on here last night about error in badges I thought I would share a couple I have in my collection. (Their could be more I haven't noticed).

First up is this badge from a club based in West Cumbria. I got this badge off Terry's Badges for my Cumbria collection, hours later while looking at and putting away what I had bought earlier in the day, I noticed it was spelt wrong. It's Cleator Moor Celtic not Cleater Moor Celtic Laughing

Next up is a badge that was produced by someone who got carried away. In the 2007-08, my beloved Carlisle United spent most of the season second in league one and had me and many others dreaming of a unlikely promotion. Carlisle been Carlisle, we then went on a poor run towards the end of the season and we finish in the play offs, played Leeds in semis (won 2-1 away then lost 2-0 at home) and never got promoted Crying or Very sad. So we never had that season in the Championship so this badge reflects on a season that never was.

If you have any error badges then post them on here, let us have a giggle at them Laughing .

Thanks for reading, kyle
bee007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:06 pm 
Post subject: error badges

http://www.colpur.org.uk/afbc/gallery/nl-h60.jpg

Have a look at this old badge. Haverhill should be all one word.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

I've got a few, nearly all a case of people in too much of a rush, not checking what they are doing

I will load up photos when I can but to describe them, a Russian made one with "Chrystal" Palace on it

A badge retrospectively made for our solitary tie in Europe. The badge features the Palace and Trabsonspor crests. Unfortunately we played a different Turkish club, Samsunspor!!

And a badge featuring the teams in the play offs one year, but one of the 4 teams was wrong - they put Preston on it as the 4th club when it should have been Ipswich!

The above are genuine mistakes, which to be honest make me chuckle.

More annoying for me is retrospectively made 'historic' events badges, commemorating important games of the past, but using crests which are too modern for the game they commemorate.

A bit like the 1990's made Liverpool badge on here recently, which someone tried to palm off as a 1960s original - the Liverpool crest was too modern for the era it was representing
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Next up is a badge that was produced by someone who got carried away.

Must admit Kyle, that line of yours had me chuckling out loud mate, very funny.

Yes I have a few "error" badges, in fact I actively collect them, especially the production error examples.
Sadly Duncan who produces Newport's badges loves them as well, so I don't get as many as I'd like.

What this thread has made me think of though, is perhaps we should have another designated thread for displaying our 'Worst ever Footy Memorabilia,' that we can share and laugh at.

They had a thread like that on one of the Liverpool forums I read and I was absolutely roaring with laughter all the way through it.

The best "terrible souvenirs" mainly seemed to emanate from Asia, including an "official" replica shirt where the club crest said ... "You'll Never Walk Again" ... and a pennant which boldly stated beneath the Liver Bird ... "Liverpool Football Clue."

Very Happy
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:58 pm 
Post subject:

Sticking to the subject matter, I had these Newport County "Stone Island" badges produced about twelve years ago.

Of the 100 badges minimum order, I requested 50 in amber (home) and 50 in white (away) colours.

When they arrived I was delighted to find one errant production mistake amongst them, where the bottom white part was accidentally coloured black.

So after flogging a few and donating half of them to the club shop, I was able to keep the unique "one-off" colour for myself ... chuffed that it was one of a kind ...

(the badge on the right in the pic)

houghmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

First one is the biggest pet peeve of all Crewe Alexandra fans ..... getting called Crewe AlexanDER. It happens way too often on Programmes and Tickets so it was no surprise when some ebay chancer had these made and got it wrong too. Good for a chuckle but being the cheap button pins they were not very collectable as an "error badge".

My favourite part of this one is that all they had to do was look at the correct spelling on the logo in the middle of the badge!!
houghmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

Next one up is a lot more collectable. This badge from the 80s was the main badge produced in that era by the supporters club but one batch was sent with a missing E on Crewe. Apparently they were sent back to the manufacturer but they found their way onto the market anyway.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:20 am 
Post subject:

Your button badge reminds me of myself as a nipper Martin, when I thought there was a Scottish team called PATRICK Thistle.
les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:33 pm 
Post subject: Brentford Error Badge.

I got this in 1975, at the time the club thought that they were founded in 1888, years later they found out that they were not founded until 1889.

A nice rare badge that always goes for a high price on Ebay.
les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:38 pm 
Post subject: Arsenal Error Badge

Lokomotiv Leipzig v Arsenal match badge from the game in 1978. With the new Arsenal crest which was Unveiled in 2002.
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:33 pm 
Post subject: Re: Brentford Error Badge.

les wrote:

I got this in 1975, at the time the club thought that they were founded in 1888, years later they found out that they were not founded until 1889.

A nice rare badge that always goes for a high price on Ebay.

One badge I don't have in my collection. Sad

I have a leather key fob with this enamel badge on though! Smile

Yes, this badge was brought out in 1972. Just two years later, the late Graham Haynes discovered, in the newspaper archive, that it was actually in October 1889 that Brentford FC were founded.

A nice item. Wink
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:21 am 
Post subject:

A couple I originally put on the other thread ... bought this current season match badge recently and was delighted to see we'd moved up a division ...

I've had this set for six years and only noticed recently one was another production error badge (they are very small in the flesh to be fair) ... it's the badge bottom right where the top of the shield hasn't been coloured ...

This one isn't an error badge as such, but unintentionally became one when our pitch wasn't ready and we were forced to play this pre-season friendly at our old Spytty Park ground instead of "Rodney Parade" ...

Superblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm 
Post subject:

After having another look at my badges I've came across this.

I think it's supposed to say JPT (Jonstones Paint Trophy), not JPS. I've have had this badge since 2010 and I just noticed it now Laughing .
Superblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

Another two badges from that Cup run.

firstly this badge says 'JT CUP' instead of JP Trophy.

Next up isn't exactly a error but a clever marketing tactic, this badge came available in the club shop not long after we got to Wembley. You may notice it hasn't got a date or even a year on it. Next season when we got to Wembley again the club once again said a 'new' badge was on sale for the final... It was this exact badge. And I believe if we get to the JPT final again, this badge will once again make a appearance.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:59 pm 
Post subject:

Not an error badge, but a European seller recently listed a Newport collectible on eBay calling us ... "NEWPORT COUNTRY" ... Very Happy

I'm wondering how long it might be before a badge calling us that turns up?!
slightfold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:20 pm 
Post subject:

We see can now see what happens if they add a letter to County, let's hope they don't start taking any away!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
We see can now see what happens if they add a letter to County, let's hope they don't start taking any away!

Ok.
les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

One of those times when badges were made early with an either / or outcome.

The ECWC Final in 1994 was Arsenal v Parma, but badges were also made for Arsenal v Benfica.
Valky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 am 
Post subject:

A prize for finding the spelling mistake on this one!

goodison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:40 am 
Post subject:

Does that say Stanford Bridge?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: