Football Programmes Centre

Obscure Chesterfield programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Obscure Chesterfield programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Alf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 pm 
Post subject: Obscure Chesterfield programmes

Hello all

Over the last few years we’ve been trying to find out about all Chesterfield matches for which a programme or teamsheet definitely exists

It is at: http://www.cfchistory.com/ and then take the option for Stats & Records then Line-ups. There’s some general info on that page about how stuff is listed, and the programme info is then on the button for each individual season

We haven’t tried to list pre-WW1 because there aren’t many that we know to exist, and post-WW2 virtually every first-team match has a programme so we haven’t specifically listed those

Two things...

Firstly, if you need to know anything about programmes for your team v Chesterfield then you might well find it on the site. If not then post here

Secondly, if you know of any obscure Chesterfield matches that we don’t have any info for then can you please post it here?

“Obscure” is anything pre-1945, plus non-first team games after that. We are particularly interested in:

Yorkshire League (our A team)
North Midlands League (our reserves)
Northern Intermediate League (our youth team)

Thanks for reading this, hope we can help each other
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

What an excellent link...........

If only someone from Pompey could do the same....

Makes my flickr page........pretty poor

regards

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:46 pm 
Post subject:

Just a quick flick through the website, you get the feeling that it's all for the love and keeping alive your own football clubs history and passing on the knowledge to the next generation. Plus helping out other supporters from clubs you've played over the years. Fantastic. Smile

As PompeyPete says above, slowly but surely, more and more fans are creating a good historical website for their own Club, maybe one day my Club, Brentford FC, will do the same?! Thing is it will need several supporters to get together to sort one out! Smile
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

There was once a Brentford history site, I know as I worked on it. Cant find a link to see if its still active.

If more people were interested in adding to www.thefootballarchives.com then we would have ONE site to cover all clubs

EDIT:

Found it
www.brentfordfchistory.co.uk
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:18 pm 
Post subject:

Terrific site indeed.

Don't know if it's any help, but I have the s/s insert to the 66/7 Derby v Chesterfield reserve game here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/8188529341/in/album-72157632017609953/

The 54/55 end-of-season friendly Chesterfield v Derby s/s is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/8000814997/in/album-72157631568616176/
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:
There was once a Brentford history site, I know as I worked on it. Cant find a link to see if its still active.

If more people were interested in adding to www.thefootballarchives.com then we would have ONE site to cover all clubs

EDIT:

Found it
www.brentfordfchistory.co.uk

Yes, I know about that one. It's Mark's website - Brentford's programme editor - which is incomplete as he's adding the stats over time, that he has spare, if he has any!!?

I was prepared to do the programme bit, and memorabilia, but haven't got round to it yet. It's finding the hours needed to cover everything. Smile
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

As a Chesterfield fan I visit this site regularly for information
blueshearer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Great website

Confirmation of the existence of programmes for the following matches with Blackburn

1945-46 home and away

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blueshearer/21435906584/in/album-72157648808678179/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blueshearer/15160825753/in/album-72157649276203985/

I will let you know about a few of the reserves gaps later
blueshearer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Last edited by blueshearer on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:30 pm 
Post subject:

Fantastic site. Thumbs Up

The amount of research and work that's been expended is a credit to all those involved.

I started something similar many years ago for my own purposes but it is still probably only 50% complete. If it ever gets finished I would plan to publish although in the meantime I started building a programme and memorabilia website (as opposed to a more statistics based site) and this will probably take precedence for now.

It amuses me when people say I wish there was a similar site for my club.

If you want one the answer is to do it yourself.
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:18 am 
Post subject:

PM sent Thumbs Up
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:33 am 
Post subject:

Brilliant website - as others have said.... if only..........

I noticed I have a photo of one player of whom you have nothing showing, Albert Malam? Any good to you? I can't find my scanned copy but I can do one for you if you need it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

Hi -I can't seem to get the stats links on the website to work - keep getting the below screen:

Was curious to find out about the below programme/game - seems unusual in that it was a mid-season friendly between two teams competing in the same division (and battling each other against relegation too, although they both ended up going down...)

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

Think this one is Chesterfield Reserves from November 1921.
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Great site - will keep dipping into it now I know it's there

Had a quick look through my Yorkshire League programme issue notes and the following aways definitely exist:-

46/7 at Scunthorpe United Res
49/0 at Gainsborough Trinity Res
49/0 at Sheffield United A

Chesterfield were in the Yorkshire League in 38/9 & from 46/7 upto 54/5 and many of the clubs were regular issuers in these seasons so, although I may not have seen a particular issue against Chesterfield, it is highly likely that a programme will exist

Also there is was a single sheet issued for the 58/9 FAYC match between Chesterfield & Barnsley on 25/12/58 (sold on ebay)

Had this one in my collection for years - 38/9 Chesterfield A v Worksop Town at Staveley

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnsleycollector/7320731660/in/album-72157630012468246/
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure if you can glean any info for your fine website from this thread posted earlier this year? It's basically a list of programmes from 'other' games played at Saltergate.

http://www.footballprogrammece.....ht=central
Retrosmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure if this is of interest but here is a picture of my second oldest Grantham Town programme away at Chesterfield Reserves played 10th September 1932
Sir Alf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you one and all for the info and your kind words about the site. I have to confess, all I did for the site was the programme info, most of the site is the work of CFC club historian Stuart Basson and statto Paul Kellett

derby1884
We knew the teamsheet existed but I’ve personally never seen it. From it I think we’ve got the name of one of our players wrong. I really liked the score of the end-of-season friendly in 54-55

blueshearer
Thank you, 3 reserve matches we didn’t have programme info for

Pete’s Picture Palace
Yes, could you please scan the photo of Albert Malam for us, personally I’ve only ever seen him on one team photo

yachtsmun
Can’t help you with the error on the stats link but I can help a bit on the GTFC v CFC friendly in 50-51. As you say it was strange that we were in the same division but that date was FA Cup 5th round day and as we were both knocked out maybe there was a shortage of other opponents for a friendly.

Carlisleprogs
Brilliant programme, I’ve never seen that before, it was a friendly match for our reserve team who played that year in the Central Alliance, which was for midland teams, so I can’t begin to think why we played a friendly at Workington

BarnsleyCollector
Thank you for the YL info, if you come across any more I’d love to hear. Also the FAYC game on 25/12/58, as this was at Saltergate I suspected there would have been a teamsheet but I’ve never seen one. We did know about the CFC A Team v Worksop Town as I think I remember seeing this on an offer list years ago, sadly I couldn’t afford to bid at the time

Rocky
We haven’t got as far as listing other non-CFC matches at Saltergate but I do know about these that Spireitenag listed, I sit a few seats away from him at home matches

Retrosmith
I did know about that match, I suspect that programme might have once belonged to me before I cashed in on my collection about 10 years or so ago. Do you know about CFC v Grantham in 21-22, this was long thought to be the oldest CFC programme in existence until a few years ago? I had that one, also sold it but I’ve got a photocopy so if you are interested then PM me with your address and I’ll send you a photocopy
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Yes, could you please scan the photo of Albert Malam for us, personally I’ve only ever seen him on one team photo

Sir Alf, this is a 75 dpi scan but if you give me your email address I'll scan you a 300 dpi version. Does this come from the same team photo you've seen?

Or it's available to purchase - 5.5x3.5" original Wilkes & Co photo from the early 30's. PM me for full details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kcs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

Hi,

I can confirm a single sheet was issued for leeds reserves v chesterfield reserves from seasons 1946/7 to 1958/9 inclusive (exceptions being 47/8 and 55/6).
These two probably exist as known issues known exist for most home games from those 2 seasons.

They can be seen on my website.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: