Football Programmes Centre

Venetian FC, 1907/08
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Venetian FC, 1907/08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:35 pm 
Post subject: Venetian FC, 1907/08

I picked up this 4 x 1.5" membership/fixture card fairly recently.

I know nothing about the club, though - anyone have any information? I was wondering if they changed name at some point.

Very glad the original owner chose not to scribble the results in!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:47 am 
Post subject:

Steve, not easy seeing the names of their opponents.

Is Chatham one of them? Norwood Hill? So presume Kent/Surrey based? Can you clarify please?

I've never heard of them but listing some opponents might help, I just can't read those names, sorry.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:57 am 
Post subject:

Likewise Steve/Pete, I can't read them either.

Could this be a case of 'Venetian Blind'?

Get My Coat
Karb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 am 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
Likewise Steve/Pete, I can't read them either.

Could this be a case of 'Venetian Blind'?

Get My Coat

wandererpaul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Steve, not easy seeing the names of their opponents.

Is Chatham one of them? Norwood Hill? So presume Kent/Surrey based? Can you clarify please?

I've never heard of them but listing some opponents might help, I just can't read those names, sorry.

Cool

Looks to me like Clapham Juveniles FC and Norwood Hill FC. Also, St Marys and St Stephens......

Didn't Crystal Palace play at Norwood Hill FC's ground at some point in their early history?
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:48 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely item derby.

Here's another superb old fixture book that recently sold on Ebay.

There were no bidders at £150 and I missed out seeing the relisting when it went fairly swiftly for £100.

I wonder if someone on here bought it.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

I'm hoping this will be a bit easier to read as regards their opponents.

wandererpaul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:49 am 
Post subject:

An intriguing bit of memorabilia.

I've looked through an online newspaper archive and nothing for Venetian FC comes up. Also, nothing for any of the other Clubs, bar Burstow United who come up in cricket fixtures and scorecards.

It seems that some of the Clubs are from Surrey, Kent and Sussex areas. Looking online and finding old League tables for some of these County leagues, nothing comes up either.

As I said, an interesting item and intriguing to find out who they were!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

You'd think with this club playing fixtures against the likes of Clapham Juveniles, Norwood Hill, Bletchingley etc there might be some cross-over with the young Crystal Palace of the Southern League (and reserves), and also Croydon Common who had teams in the Southern League, the South Eastern League and the United League in that same era.

But I can find none at all even though my book "Who Killed the Cock Robins?" (a history of the Common 1897-1917) lists all fixtures, and in representative games, those clubs the selected players were affiliated to. Nothing at all to report.

All very intriguing. I'm wondering if maybe this is rugby football?

Note it was printed in Merton High Street which is sort of Wimbledon/Mitcham borders. Very local to here.

Wanderpaul, you asked if Palace had played at Norwood Hill? No - we played at the Crystal Palace 1905-15, Herne Hill 1915-18, The Nest (former home of the Common) 1918-24 and from then Selhurst Park.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

Wanderpaul, you asked if Palace had played at Norwood Hill? No - we played at the Crystal Palace 1905-15, Herne Hill 1915-18, The Nest (former home of the Common) 1918-24 and from then Selhurst Park.

Cheers Pete.

West Norwood FC, not Norwood Hill FC, were at Herne Hill. That's close but not close enough! Wink

Could be rugby, I suppose. But it's odd that no Club comes up in a search on FMP newspaper archives, when you'd have thought at least one or two would've done. As I said, only "Burstow United" is recognised but as a cricket club!
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

It would seem that it is a football item, as the fixture list mentions an opposition of a G.Richardson's X1. Here's a wild stab at location, perhaps they were from around 'Little Venice,' an area in London? When their centre forward scored a hat trick they said he played a 'blinder!' (sorry about the last comment).
Intriguing historical item this one.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

It's a clever little item - the pages inside the hard cover fold out two ways......so I've just spotted what's on the reverse side!

This may help identify them and/or their league?

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:36 am 
Post subject:

The secretary is from South Haslemere, stockbroker belt near Guildford - same sort of area as Bletchingley & Mickelham. But I can't find Roundhay Lane, of course it may not be there now. As for the Orient Tea Rooms...

So, he lives near Guildford, the list was printed in Merton, their opponents are in Surrey, South London - and they didn't play against Croydon Common or Palace 1st team or reserves in that period.

Done like a kipper on this!

Shake Sherlock
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:50 am 
Post subject:

I'm relying on you, Pete Smile

I thought it was interesting that there were two games where the opponents were listed simply as "Amateurs" - as if that distinguished them, in some way, from the Venetian club.

Also, note that the asterisked league games only take place once a month.
That's unusual.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 am 
Post subject:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137252068@N06/shares/8ghPH3

I can't add anything to what others have said about your card, but I have a couple in exactly the same format. The oldest is 1938/39 and my research was made easier by the fact that it said Rugby on the front of both of them! Could it be that they were unique to rugby or has anybody any other sports in this style?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

Five & In's card, Great Bookham Rugby Club - 30 years later but a very similar format and also Great Bookham, Haslemere, Mickleham... all the same neck of the woods. Does it say who printed the Bookham card?

Steve, could you please email me all your images so I can send them on to a couple of local football historians?
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:11 pm 
Post subject:

Five & In's card, Great Bookham Rugby Club - 30 years later but a very similar format and also Great Bookham, Haslemere, Mickleham... all the same neck of the woods. Does it say who printed the Bookham card?

Steve, could you please email me all your images so I can send them on to a couple of local football historians?

The Bookham card was printed by F. Barford, The Athletic Printer, The Victory Press, Gt. Bookham.
The other card I have was printed by the same firm and is for Wlkerburn Rugby Club some twenty years later in 1959/60 season.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

Five and In wrote:

The Bookham card was printed by F. Barford, The Athletic Printer, The Victory Press, Gt. Bookham.
The other card I have was printed by the same firm and is for Walkerburn Rugby Club some twenty years later in 1959/60 season.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 pm 
Post subject:

Five and In wrote:
Five and In wrote:

The other card I have was printed by the same firm and is for Walkerburn Rugby Club some twenty years later in 1959/60 season.

Interesting that the 1907/8 printer also describes himself as "The" Athletic Printer!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

From social media about Bookham & Victory Press.....

http://www.francisfrith.com/uk/great-bookham/grocers-shop_memory-10201
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: