Football Programmes Centre

Backpass magazine
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Backpass magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregl2020

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:44 am 
Post subject: Backpass magazine

Morning all.

Does anyone know what is going on with retro magazine Backpass? They announced on their Facebook page yesterday they had been taken over by Extra Time Publishing. A debate then started on that thread but now the whole page is down...as is their Twitter.
stewpot01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:37 am 
Post subject:

Hi.

I saw the new issue on Monday and after flicking through the publication placed it straight back on the shelf. The quality of paper is nowhere as good and the content looked more like it was taken up with current rather than anything retro. Many of the previous articles where missing and the season stats section (which I always enjoyed) did not appear to there (unless two pages where stuck together Very Happy ).

On the whole I feel very let down, the magazine for me has dropped in standard (but not in price) and I doubt I shall be purchasing any future issues unless there are some significant improvements.
gregl2020

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Stewpot01: sadly I agree. Nothing against Gareth Bale but if I want a magazine with him on the front I would buy Four Four Two rather than a publication with a retro twist. I, too, flicked through it and opted against buying it. Perhaps it will get back to what it used to be in future issues if people voice their concerns.
stewpot01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, those where my thoughts exactly. The backpass page itself is also poor with information - in fact they have just cut the page in half and added nothing new in terms of just which direction these new owners take. I doubt they will listen to any concerns at all, both the old BP twitter and facebook pages have gone (the latter after people started to discuss the proposed changes (which to me says they do not want listen)
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:37 pm 
Post subject:

I see the publishers have had a rethink and reverted back to the original publication for the remainder of the season as detailed in the report below.

Reports of the death of BACKPASS have been greatly exaggerated!
The views of our loyal hardcore readers have persuaded Extra Time Publishing to put the revamped EXTRA TIME & BACKPASS in mothballs until the summer.
While most of the feedback regarding EXTRA TIME & BACKPASS was positive and highly encouraging, there were subscribers who were particularly vocal that the product had significantly changed in format.
We have listened to and acted upon those concerns, and BACKPASS will now continue in its own right until at least the end of this season.
There will be three more issues of BACKPASS before subscriptions are due again in the summer ... 43, 44 and 45 and they will be in the shops as normal (Issue 43 will now be published in mid-March).
All three will be packed with retro football, with particular emphasis from the 1960s to the 1980s. The modern-day game, as in previous issues, will be restricted to a token coverage.
stewpot01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the info Smile
ramsfan7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:15 am 
Post subject:

As a subscriber to Backpass , I too was not impressed with the new version that appeared a few weeks ago.
The 'merger' also saw the existing editor move out and he is creating a new retro magazine , Soccerama , which will see issue 1 this springtime.

There is a twitter (@Soccerama1) and facebook page keeping us up to date with progress and hopefully will take over where Backpass will finish
stewpot01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

ramsfan7 wrote:
As a subscriber to Backpass , I too was not impressed with the new version that appeared a few weeks ago.
The 'merger' also saw the existing editor move out and he is creating a new retro magazine , Soccerama , which will see issue 1 this springtime.

There is a twitter (@Soccerama1) and facebook page keeping us up to date with progress and hopefully will take over where Backpass will finish

Great news. I have to say they got off on the wrong foot straight away by putting Gareth Bales photo on the front, not impressed. I will look forward to the new version.
martino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

I think Extra Time Publishing have shot themselves in the foot with the re-vamp. Obviously, no thought for the loyal subscribers of Backpass and a bad decision which they are now trying to "back-peddle" from to try and retain some subscribers for their new publication.

It is good to see that the old Editor is going to continue with the old retro format in a new publication.
backpass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:29 pm 
Post subject: Back Pass & Soccerama

Soccerama is out now. In style and tone, it seems to have more in common with The Blizzard than it does with Back Pass. Soccerama comes in at a massive 336 pages for a tenner. It looks interesting.
Ugarte5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:09 pm 
Post subject: Re: Back Pass & Soccerama

backpass wrote:
Soccerama is out now. In style and tone, it seems to have more in common with The Blizzard than it does with Back Pass. Soccerama comes in at a massive 336 pages for a tenner. It looks interesting.

Soccerama is a fantastic read. Similar in vein to The Blizzard but I have found it much more readable. And two articles on ex-Wrexham players in the first edition!

Facebook link with more info for those interested:
https://www.facebook.com/SOCCERAMA-football-magazine-1518634968392370/info/?tab=page_info
backpass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

I finally got my copy of Soccerama and I have to say it is a damn fine read. In depth and serious - just what the doctor ordered. It is mainly retro but there is some modern stuff in there, too. The history of the Football League Review article is worth the cover price alone. And, yes, it is similar to the Blizzard.

https://www.facebook.com/SOCCERAMA-football-magazine-1518634968392370/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccerama
smk06

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks to Backpass for publishing details about Derby County Memories magazine in the latest issue. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by attaching the scan below...

GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

After a number of weeks deliberating whether the magazine would continue it would appear it has been saved - by the PFA of all people. Quote from the website states;

BACKPASS has been saved … thanks to the intervention of the Professional Footballers’ Association, who we thank for their ongoing support of the magazine.

Issue 52 will be available to subscribers in the last week of October, but we are unsure whether this issue will be in the shops. We will know more on the shop situation this weekend. Issue 53 will follow before Christmas and the magazine will then be published bi-monthly (every two months) during 2017.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: