Football Programmes Centre

New to this forum
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to this forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:18 pm 
Post subject: New to this forum

Hi everyone

I'm new to this place so please bear with me.
I got told about it and have watched the forum for a month or so.
Must say it seems a great place for collectors to have a chat and the information and knowledge which is passed on is of great value.

I'm a Manchester United collector of pre 1960's programmes I don't bother with modern programmes.

I'm very interested in 1940's and pre war United home and away.

My collection is not massive but I like what I have so far.

I would be looking for advice on what to purchase from collectors with more knowledge than myself.

Anyway I look forward to talking to you soon.

David.
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:19 pm 
Post subject: Man Utd

Welcome to the forum David.
As a collector of pre 1950 home and away programmes you will need deep pockets but you can sometimes find some bargains out there.
We have one of the biggest collectors of Man Utd items in the game on this forum called Leslie who is always willing to share his knowledge of the club.
So you are in good hands.
If you let forum members know what you are looking for, we may have items gor sale or exchange.
Best wishes
Holtie Thumbs Up [/quote]
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:28 pm 
Post subject: Re: New to this forum

charliemitten wrote:
Hi everyone

Must say it seems a great place for collectors to have a chat and the information and knowledge which is passed on is of great value.

I'm a Manchester United collector of pre 1960's programmes I don't bother with modern programmes.

I would be looking for advice on what to purchase from collectors with more knowledge than myself.

David.

Hi Charlie

Welcome to the forum. I have a few MUFC 1940s programmes if I could PM you with the details? I am a new dealer and feel my prices are quite reasonable...

Andy
charliemitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Man Utd

holtie96 wrote:
As a collector of pre 1950 home and away programmes you will need deep pockets but you can sometimes find some bargains out there.
We have one of the biggest collectors of Man Utd items in the game on this forum called Leslie who is always willing to share his knowledge of the club.
If you let forum members know what you are looking for, we may have items gor sale or exchange.
Best wishes
Holtie Thumbs Up
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Holtie.
After giving up collecting quite a few years ago I've got the 'bug' back again.
There are some silly prices quoted nowadays compared to the past.
I suppose ebay has made items more accessible to ordinary collectors but there are still high buy it nows for relative easy to get programmes.
I'm pretty much sorted out for United homes in the 40's not so much the pre war homes which I want to build up but I'm seriously short of 1940's aways against most clubs I only have three or four.
Also Holtie maybe you can help? I think it was Fishy who kindly pointed me in the direction of Eamonn ? who does programme repairs? I have three that need attention. Ive been ringing Eammon all day and sent him an email but no response so far do you know if he's still doing repairs or could he just be away from the office?

Anyway thanks again I'm really liking how friendly and helpful members are on here.
charliemitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:59 pm 
Post subject: Re: New to this forum

blackburncollector wrote:
charliemitten wrote:
Hi everyone

David.

Hi Charlie

Welcome to the forum. I have a few MUFC 1940s programmes if I could PM you with the details? I am a new dealer and feel my prices are quite reasonable...

Andy

Hi Andy
thanks for getting in touch.
I'm looking for most clubs United away in the 1940's.
I do prefer the best condition possible with them if you can help?
Also trying to build pre war programmes up but realise they will be few and far between.

Thanks Andy
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 pm 
Post subject: Progs

Any idea anyone regarding Eamonn?
He may be away as he is incredibly reliable, give it w couple of days and if anyone knows differently they will tell you.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 am 
Post subject: Re: Man Utd

charliemitten wrote:
holtie96 wrote:
Best wishes
Holtie Thumbs Up

Thanks for the kind words Holtie.
After giving up collecting quite a few years ago I've got the 'bug' back again.
There are some silly prices quoted nowadays compared to the past.
I suppose ebay has made items more accessible to ordinary collectors but there are still high buy it nows for relative easy to get programmes.
I'm pretty much sorted out for United homes in the 40's not so much the pre war homes which I want to build up but I'm seriously short of 1940's aways against most clubs I only have three or four.
Also Holtie maybe you can help? I think it was Fishy who kindly pointed me in the direction of Eamonn ? who does programme repairs? I have three that need attention. Ive been ringing Eammon all day and sent him an email but no response so far do you know if he's still doing repairs or could he just be away from the office?

Anyway thanks again I'm really liking how friendly and helpful members are on here.[/quote]

If you need any help re MUFC items give me a nudge-ok
Leslie Millman
[email protected]
www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets just scroll down and click on any of the items that are of interest-ok.
Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:13 am 
Post subject:

Charlie Mitten, this is your namesake getting kicked in the nuts by Robertson, the Chelsea keeper, when he played for Fulham in 1952.

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
charliemitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:30 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Charlie Mitten, this is your namesake getting kicked in the nuts by Robertson, the Chelsea keeper, when he played for Fulham in 1952.

Shocked

Good Grief !! even the 'magic sponge' wouldn't have calmed his gonads down after that one Confused
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 am 
Post subject:

charliemitten wrote:

Shocked

Good Grief !! even the 'magic sponge' wouldn't have calmed his gonads down after that one Confused

That could be a thread in itself - how many of us have names which we share with famous or known footballers? It could be an interesting one.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

Good grief.....

Earliest known "Spot the Ball(s)"!!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

tufcprogs wrote:
Good grief.....

Laughing Laughing

na they did it in the 1930's

can u imagine what the players got up to in the early days of the 1880's!

Wave
charliemitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:15 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
tufcprogs wrote:
Good grief.....

Laughing Laughing

Wave

I believe from story's of the Newton Heath day's that they really were a handy crew no professional fouls in them days just sparking someone out cold with one dig to the chin. I think there was one player in particular who was renowned for it think he ended up getting banned from playing...can't remember his name or the years but in the early part of United's history?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

charliemitten wrote:
tufcprogs wrote:
Good grief.....

Laughing Laughing

Wave

I believe from story's of the Newton Heath day's that they really were a handy crew no professional fouls in them days just sparking someone out cold with one dig to the chin. I think there was one player in particular who was renowned for it think he ended up getting banned from playing...can't remember his name or the years but in the early part of United's history?

Leslie knows better than me but I think that's Frank Barson.
charliemitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

charliemitten wrote:
tufcprogs wrote:
Good grief.....

Laughing Laughing

Wave

Leslie knows better than me but I think that's Frank Barson.

That's him Peter ,wasn't he a hard as nails Blacksmith before his football career who played for the Villa as well? I knew I had read about him somewhere.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

I always wondered what he did before he became a comedian! Laughing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil wrote:
I always wondered what he did before he became a comedian! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was only discussing him today with David[Hydemaine]

1925-6 FA Cup Semi at Bramhall Lane-he knocked out cold a City player and was sent off, then he was banned the following season for a time.
Roy Keane a hard man!, Bremner, Hunter Mackay and all the rest of them.
Barson was probably a nutter, used to leave his shirt off until the last moment I heard so the opponents could take a good look-deffo a nutter!

looks it too https://flic.kr/p/6BjJZM
this was the insert from that 1925-6 Semi

Wave
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

Being serious for a moment welcome to the site Charlie........there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum covering many different teams and practically all aspects of the football collecting world........programmes, signatures, hand books, shirts, press photographs, etc etc. As this thread demonstrates you won't have a shortage of fellow collectors willing to help with your collection or information!
charliemitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil wrote:
Being serious for a moment welcome to the site Charlie........there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum covering many different teams and practically all aspects of the football collecting world........programmes, signatures, hand books, shirts, press photographs, etc etc. As this thread demonstrates you won't have a shortage of fellow collectors willing to help with your collection or information!

Thanks Phil yes everyone has been helpful. It's a really good site for chat and networking. I used to go to fairs years ago for the same reasons.
Now I can do all that sat at home(lazy old sod)
Some of the knowledge and experience on here is unbelievable.
Phil I have loads of odds and sods of programme's from a variety of teams in a big box. I don't want any money for them they are just taking up space. Mainly 1960's and 1970's some lower leagues as well as old 1st Division How do I go about asking if anyone wants them? I could meet them Merseyside or Greater Manchester area for a drop off they will need a car as the box is heavy.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

Best thing to do Charlie is put together a list of what you have preferely with a price! Some on here might not be interested as their pretty recent but its worth a try. You might even consider a "all in" price........for the whole collection! If your serious about giving them away I'm sure someone on here will take them off your hands!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: