Football Programmes Centre

Hi everybody
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi everybody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm 
Post subject: Hi everybody

Hi everybody.
I registered a few days ago and am still finding my way around the site, which looks great. I have collected programmes for close to 50 years now having followed Spurs all over the place since the sixties. I no longer get to the Lane much since moving to Devon, but they still make me suffer from afar!! I have a few wants and will list them on here soon. My collection is huge, currently around 60,000 and I intend to start to sell the non Spurs ones off soon as my memorabilia collection is taking over. I have been fortunate to have met and collected thousands of signatures over the years and was lucky enough to have dinner with the World Cup '66 team prior to any of them passing away. My love of football also led to me coaching youth teams for 17 years which I hung my boots up on a few years back. Hopefully I will get fully involved on here with like minded collectors and fans.
Paul
James73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome fellow sufferer, never a dull moment with us Thumbs Up

COYS
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:46 pm 
Post subject:

Agreed.
Great memory from your picture. I was behind the goal when Ricky scored his wonder goal.
COYS
Davee59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:03 pm 
Post subject: Super Spurs

Welcome mate, I have also just joined and you will find they are a friendly and helpful bunch. I have also supported Spurs since the late sixties so we have probably stood together many times without knowing it! I used to go home and away in the heyday of the eighties. I was in a a corner near the City fans when that Villa goal went in, what a night. Easy
James73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 pm 
Post subject:

Unfortunately I only begun supporting them in the early 80's, being born in the 70's. The stylish Ossie and Ricky and guille and skill of Hoddle did a lot to persuade me to support them, also fact that Hoddle never tucked shirt in and played with socks rolled down was the ultimate in cool for me. Don't think my Woolwich Nomadic father has ever forgiven me. I still get goosebumps from 'that goal' and i pleased to say that I am now joined @The Lane by my 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

I swear this is true....I got home the following morning after the 81 Cup Final on the back of the milk float after celebrating all night in Tottenham High Road.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:21 pm 
Post subject:

Great memories! Do you think the FA Cp still holds such emotion for fans of the 'super' clubs who seem to win it year in year out?

As a Leeds fan, my best Spurs memory is the 1972 FA Cup 6th Rd tie at Elland Road. Hunter Davies devoted a chapter to it in his book 'The Glory game'.

regards
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:49 pm 
Post subject:

The Glory Game is my favourite football book ever. Superb insight to the game as it was then. The FA Cup no longer has the same appeal and I think it's demise can be traced back to the season Man Utd did not defend the trophy at the FA's request to play in Brazil instead. Semi Finals being played at Wembley has not helped either and finishing 4th is more important to some rather than cup competitions. The FA Cup desperately needs a Wimbledon, Sunderland or Southampton moment to regain the younger fans attention. I could rant all day, but won't.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:23 pm 
Post subject:

Just to interrupt this Spurs "love-in" for a second, I was right behind the goal when Palace scored this one, January 1970, FA Cup 4th round, it was Gerry Queen with the winning goal in the replay at Selhurst Park. I believe it was Jimmy Greaves last game for Spurs but I may be wrong on that. Gate: 43,980 - amazingly just 31 more than watched the goalless draw at White Hart Lane 4 days earlier.

Memories!!! Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Davee59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

I remember dad wouldn't take me to the game but brought me back a programme! Sad

It was indeed Greaves' last game, he was dropped and never played for us again but we did get Martin Peters in exchange.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

Can we re-post all this to a "Spurs Forum" .......

Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: