Football Programmes Centre

Goals and Wickets - New website
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goals and Wickets - New website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:39 pm 
Post subject:

Today is the 2 year anniversary for my Goals and Wickets memorabilia blog website.

Thanks to the many people on here who have visited this thread and the site in that time.

On the attached FB page link for Goals and Wickets, which now has nearly 2,500 'likes' / followers and is the portal I use a lot to promote the site, I've put some of the website stats comparing the 2nd year with the 1st and most indicators are going in the right direction.

So thanks again everyone;

https://www.facebook.com/goalsandwickets?ref=hl

PS There are now over 130 posts on the site for visitors to browse and page links through to my Ebay Shop for anyone interested in browsing / buying any memorabilia.

The next 'brief guide' is on the Rothmans' Football Yearbook and will be coming soon.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

Just posted the above mentioned brief guide to the Rothmans Football Yearbooks on the Goals and Wickets website.

As ever, thanks in advance for any views and also any comments, corrections, suggestions are all welcome to help improve the post if I've got anything wrong or information gaps can be filled;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-yearbook/
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

Another interesting and informative article.

I remember getting the 1st one as a Christmas present in 1970 and that tradition has carried on up to the latest edition.

Over the years they have been an invaluable source of reference and although facts and stats are now so readily available on the internet, I always like to have a book to thumb through.

In the early days I never came across any hardback versions. None of the book shops near me ever stocked the hardback ones and it was a few years since that first one that I became aware of them.

Every now and then I will pick up a hardback copy to replace the softback one.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm 
Post subject:

I too got the first edition for Christmas that year but haven't got another one since.

I still have it and use it regularly so it's well thumbed and a bit dog-eared.

A very interesting article and good to see this great almanac is treasured by so many.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:18 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for having a look, bisphamseasider and Pete

I get the sense with this book that it is a bit of a'sleeper' as far as collectors / football enthusiasts are concerned.

Many love it but few talk about it.

There is no question that it's not collected with as much energy / interest as Wisdens are in the cricket memorabilia domain but as I observe, the book isn't even 50 yet and Wisden is over 150!
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 am 
Post subject:

Here's the latest Goals and Wickets website brief guide history for the vintage football annual, FA Book for Boys.

A mouthpiece for the FA, it had a mixture of all the usual type of action content seen in boys' football annuals mixed with lots of coaching information designed to help achieve the annual's stated mission to help boys play better football.

As always, thanks for any views and questions and comments are welcome;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......book-boys/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:44 am 
Post subject:

The latest brief guide on the website posted just now is on the magazines which the F.A. used as its' official mouthpiece between 1951 and 1982.

I've tried to put together the story of these magazines under one banner even though there were 5 magazines with 6 titles starting with the F.A. Bulletin in 1951 and ending with Football Today just over 30 years later.

I've read that in the early days, the magazines were not for general distribution until after 1970 when the Football Association News was available in W.H. Smiths.

If anyone can add any light on this issue, I'd be very grateful.

Having written a brief guide on the F.A. Book for Boys (see above), this is the 2nd of 3 posts I'm going to write on the F.A.'s publications.

After a switch over to the cricket side of the site to do a quick review of the 2015 Wisden, I'll be back to football to write a brief guide to the F.A. Yearbooks in order to complete the trio of posts on the F.A.

As ever, thanks for any views of the site and any / every comment is welcome;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......gazines-f/

PS Nozer, please note that there's a super photo of the Doog in his Shamrock Rovers kit about half way down the post.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 pm 
Post subject:

The latest post on Goals and Wickets is a cricket one but there is some football interest.

The post is a review of the 2015 Wisden Cricketers' Almanack but is centred around 6 fine players who left us in 2014.

One of these, Middlesex's Don Bennett was on Arsenal's books for most of the 1950's, although did not get a 1st team game.

After moving to Coventry City, he played 59 games.

As always, thanks for any views and comments;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-almanack/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

Over the last few weeks, as I've spotted photos including Duncan Edwards, I've added them into my website post which began as a mention of a moving quote from his mother about her son but has developed into a tribute to him through the photos in all the old magazines and annuals.

Here's the updated version which includes an image of one of two stain glassed windows which were put up in his local church in Dudley, an image which was included in an early 1960's edition of Charles Buchans Football Monthly.

There's also a nice one of him at an England training session held at White Hart Lane where he's jumping for the ball with a young Bobby Robson.

Thanks for any views and / or comments;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......n-edwards/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Just posted the latest brief guide post on the website.

This one is on the Official F.A. Year Book which was first published in 1948/49.

I only confirmed yesterday, looking at a large job lot of the year books at Knights auction that the year book is still going but under the adjusted name of the Official F.A. and England Year Book, a title the annual has had since 1997/98 although I've hardly seen any editions after 1999/2000 at auctions or on Ebay.

Actually, there's one for the mid 2000's currently on the Amazon marketplace but at a huge price.

Anyway, I record all of this in the post which is mainly about the editions from the late 1940's through to the end of the 1990's when the book changed publisher, title, internal design and content.

This is the 3rd post about the F.A.'s post war publications and for those interested, there are already brief guide posts on the F.A. Book for Boys and one on the F.A. Bulletin and its' predecessor magazines which were the mouthpiece of the association.

As ever any comments or questions or corrections to the overall story as I've laid it out are all welcome;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......year-book/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Although it's a cricket post, I think there are a few cricket fans on here.

Spent a great day at Castle Park, Colchester watching Essex v Surrey on Saturday while all the cricket watchers were tuning into their radios and phones listening to the scores and results of the opening day of the football season including one guy who not only knew who Wisbech Town were playing but could give a run down on the qualities of all their new squad players!

We merged with all the traffic coming out of Colchester United on the way home;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......olchester/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:06 pm 
Post subject: Brief Guide to Jimmy Hill's Football Weekly now on the site

Just published the latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets website.

This one is on Jimmy Hill's Football Weekly which ran between October 1967 and April, 1970 (131 issues).

Hope the post brings back some good memories. I've included lots of visuals but the magazines themselves had many more terrific photos in them.

As usual, thanks for any views and / or comments;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-magazine/

PS For Nozzer, I included a visual of the Soccer '70 football annual which was also published by the JHFW people. The front cover of the annual has an action photo of the Doog at Molyneux.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 pm 
Post subject: Very rare last issue of League Football #920 now available

I think that there are a few Football League Review collectors on here.

So if anyone is interested, I recently picked up a copy of the last edition of League Football magazine (the Football League Review up to the end of 1971/72), issue #920.

Most of the 366 issues that make up a set of this magazine are reasonable easy to find. The last 10 issues from #910 onwards are reasonably scarce. This last issue, #920, is very rare.

I have a copy but this one I'm selling is only the 2nd one I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of all the others).

I've listed it on Ebay on a 10 day auction, along with a few others from the last few editions (#912, #913, #915, #918 and #919) all of which are listed individually, also as 10 day auction items and starting at £3.99, as I've no idea what to price them at on a Buy-It-Now basis.

As usual, thanks for any views and good luck if you bid.

Here is a link to the listing for #920; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/252094075570?

The others are in my Ebay Shop / listings for anyone interested.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:05 pm 
Post subject:

As the cricket season finishes, a few views on domestic cricket and how its fixtures are a bit of a mess and ironically, in an era where there's more information on domestic cricket than ever before, there is a lack of overview coverage which means its difficult to follow the sport and work out what's going on.

As ever, thanks for any views and comments;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......rketplace/

PS The next post will be back to football.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:31 am 
Post subject:

Very interesting article. Many thanks

Spot on in so many ways.

I confess I lost interest in the domestic game when the fixtures went mumbo jumbo.

So much easier in the old days, County cricket during the week when all the matches were started on the same day. 40 over game became a sunday afternoon/early evening ritual in our house, during the summer. The Cups were mid-week used to love them and the finals at the end of the season.

Block matches has to be the way to go, every major sport follows that formula. Football, Rugby, NFL, even golf.

Easy to follow format needed, for example Play Monday to thursday, all teams involved. Day-off friday and saturday, or play cup on saturday Final last day of season. T20 on a sunday. 9 team divisions are tedious, scrap promotion/relegation. One large division can still be competitive, play each other once, introduce play-offs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:32 am 
Post subject:

That's a fantastic analysis and largely in line with my views, like you I go back to the early 60's as a spectator and can remember being taken to the Oval aged 7 or 8 to see Surrey v Yorkshire, Surrey with Ken Barrington, John Edrich, & Geoff Arnold, and Yorkshire with Ray Illingworth, Brian Close, and Fred Trueman. All 6 of those now would have central contracts and wouldn't be playing in that game.

The modern schedules are confusing and I have managed to take in one day's play at the LVCC so far this season, although I hope to double that this week in the final game Surrey v Northants - weather permitting.

One day despite me "working" just one day a week through the year and part time at other times, plus running a website in my spare time. The Oval is a 30 minute train ride away. When I ended up in this working position I cheered as Surrey played every year at neighbouring Whitgift school for a week and I had visions of camping out there - but that died out due to an argument over changing facilities. I digress. But for about 5 years in a row, Surrey haven't had single day's play at the Oval in an LVCC game in July.

My one day's play in the LVCC, September 3rd, featured Surrey batting v Derbyshire, and batting, and batting, and had they declared the day's play would have been truncated as Derbyshire would have appealed against the light and that would have been upheld as floodlights had been on all afternoon. So while that extended that day's play, and Surrey provided some good entertainment (Ansari 100), the game was drifting but luckily Derbyshire collapsed on Day 4 and Surrey prevailed.

Last Saturday I got a ticket for the Royal London 1-Day final at Lords, v Gloucestershire. Despite Surrey playing and a healthy contingent coming up from the West, I would say the ground was only 2/3 full. A ticket cost me £30 which I thought was good value. It was an excellent day's cricket, if a bit old-fashioned, as both sides lost early wickets and so had to re-build their innings in the proper manner. Surrey had the game won and then for some reason chucked it away, the wonderful Kumar Sangakkara of all people being partly responsible. But I had the pleasure of witnessing a future England player, Sam Curran, aged 17, batting beautifully having earlier opened the bowling. And although Surrey lost I was pleased for unknown and mysterious Glos players like Jack Taylor, Benny Howell and James Fuller to get some of the plaudits. I had never heard of them prior to the day.

Media coverage of that game was non-existent. My Sunday paper had about 3 column inches devoted to it and no photos. There was no TV coverage (terrestrial - I don't do Sky).

I listen to the BBC's radio coverage when I can. Today's play at the Oval was rained off so I hopped around the grounds where play was taking place, settling on Notts v Hants for an hour or so. Alex Hales & Jimmy Taylor were being "rested". There was a girl commentator who hadn't been to Trent Bridge before (I didn't get her name) and was asking what the names of the stands were. At Trent Bridge they have the Larwood and Voce stands. Her fellow commentator had to explain who they were.

But the Beeb's radio coverage is excellent and good on them for that, although at the end of each season I fear it won't be there when I tune in again in April.

Cricket remains the love of my life and I am fortunate to have lived through such wonderful and fascinating times for the game, but how much longer will it all go on for? I have no idea. What can we do about it? Not a lot. Just keep talking about it, discussing, arguing, debating, supporting when we can.

Oh and by the way, on your day at Essex v Surrey in August, Surrey chased down 300 on the last afternoon - not Essex!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:43 am 
Post subject:

I wouldn't argue with Sharrow's points except I think having 2 Divisions has helped to increase the interest and given teams and players an objective that would otherwise be lost. So I wouldn't scrap that.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Sharrowblade and Pete for your comments.

I know the post is very long but every time, I try and chop it down, I end up thinking of something else to say, so it gets longer again!!!

I don't want to go back but going forward, I really do think that a few small changes to simplify things as far as the fixture schedules are concerned and to make the coverage clearer could bring big results for both existing hard core fans as well as casual and new ones too.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:47 pm 
Post subject: WEBSITE BRIEF GUIDE TO SOCCER STAR MAGAZINE UPDATED

After acquiring a huge job lot of the popular magazine, SOCCER STAR at a recent auction, I have been able to update the brief guide to the publication on the Goals and Wickets website.

There were 936 editions of the magazine published between 1952 and 1970, so there's a lot to cover.

This was one of the posts which I wrote originally when I was under time pressure to get the site launched so I have now been able to add a few extra scans showing the changing face (literally) of the magazine''s look through its front covers as well as some extra advice about what to look for and how much to expect to pay when collecting the magazine.

Hopefully, visitors to the website will find that these additions to the post improve the telling of the magazine's story.

Although there is just a handful of the magazine currently in the Goals and Wickets Ebay Shop, I have over 300 now archived and ready to list.

Thanks for any views on the website, my Ebay Shop or both.

A link to the Goals and Wickets website post which is in the Football Magazines section of the Football side of the site, is here; http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/…/a-superb-weekly-footbal…/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:30 pm 
Post subject: New brief guide post to The Topical Times Football Book

Just posted a new article on the Goals and Wickets website, a brief guide to The Topical Times Football Book.

It's on the opening main homepage of the site and on top of the column of posts on Football Annuals on the football homepage too (also link below).

One of the very popular annuals through the 1960's and 1970's, the annual's last edition was in 2001.

Not sure why D.C.Thomson pulled the plug but usually this was done with titles when the economic profits pincer of declining sales and increasing costs became untenable.

As ever, thanks in advance for any views and also any comments, corrections, suggestions are all welcome to help improve the post if I've got anything wrong or information gaps can be filled or added to;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ball-book/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: