Football Programmes Centre

English Grammar Schools v Republic of Ireland at Oxford 1966
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
English Grammar Schools v Republic of Ireland at Oxford 1966
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm 
Post subject: English Grammar Schools v Republic of Ireland at Oxford 1966

I've only just come across this match as one of our recently deceased players played in the game.

My best guess is that it was the Republic of Ireland or Eire youths who played the English Grammar schools at Oxford in 1966. I don't have a date

Does anyone have any details?

I'd love a programme if it exists or would gladly pay at least £30 for a copy in reasonable condition. If not even a scan would be great.
RogerB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 pm 
Post subject: England Grammar Schools v Eire at Oxford 1966

I played in this game.
As it was a team of selected players in the UK chosen from a large group who had attended a football conference at Oxford University, the game was not in a programme and was played behind closed doors. However, it was good quality and highly competitive, and was reported in the National papers. If anyone is interested I can supply a team list of the England team (some very interesting names!) and a press cutting from a quality daily.
I'd love to help plug a gap.
Regards
RogerB
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Roger

I, for one, would love to see a list of names in this game.

I'm sure Gary will be after you for a copy of that match report too. So may some others once they see the line-ups.

Thank you for signing up to take part and help out.

Cheers
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm 
Post subject:

Absolutely would love any details. I know Joe O'Mahony of Limerick played. -
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Roger,

As Gary and Pete - would love to see anything you have please.

Ian
RogerB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 pm 
Post subject: England Grammar Schools v Eire 1966

Hi all,

I'm amazed at such a response to my post. I can supply some details easily, but the match report needs to be extracted from my files and will take me a little time. But I will get it and scan it in due course,along with the list of attendees at the Oxford Week.

The Match took place at Iffley Road Oxford on 9th April 1966 at 2:30 pm.
Match result : England 3 Eire 2

England team:-
1 J.Davies Holt High School
2 Roger Badminton Portsmouth Northern Grammar School
3 T.C.M.Wheeler Thomas Bennett School
4 Mick Pentecost Glyn Grammar School
5 Trevor Blacktin Lewes Grammar School Sussex
6 W.Lewis ? ? ?
7 S.Heighway Moseley Hall Grammar School
8 Alan Pinkney Spencer Park School
9 Tim Clements Melton Mowbray Grammar School
10 J.Wareing Finchley Catholic School
11 G.Wilton Paston School

You might note that the no.7 played an occasional game for Liverpool and Eire. He qualified for this English team as he attended a school in Liverpool. A few other players tried to make it in the professional ranks but with varying success.

I hope you find this of some interest. When I lay hands on the press cutting I will scan it with the list of all the attendees.
I can't supply details of the Eire team I'm afraid.

Best Regards
Roger
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 pm 
Post subject:

I was thinking who these names might be in the Grammar school team, Trevor Brooking was my first thought but maybe he was a year or two older. I also wondered if Steve Heighway might be in the Irish XI.

Bingo, here he is in the English team, alongside Alan Pinkney (ex Palace) and Mick Pentecost of Fulham and the Glyn School, a school I played against when I was a lad.

Roger, I see you were on Brighton's books - do you have any interesting tales to tell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Roger. Steve Heighway very interesting.
DonQuixote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

They never picked me... Sad

I was keeper of the gloves for and East London Grammar school at the time and I'd imagine trying to choose a top eleven those days - plus standbys - must have been a nightmare?

There were over c1,100 English Grammar schools in 1966 so picking the best side would have been hit and miss methinks.

One presumes that all sport heads were contacted and the names were picked out of a hat?

Unless Roger B knows differently of course.
RogerB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:42 am 
Post subject:

Hi DonQuixote

I guess we can all share your disappointment at having been excluded from representative sides. As you said, there would have been many options open to the selectors of this match if the choice was being made countrywide. And we all know that even that is not foolproof!
The selection process for the Oxford match as I understand it was as follows:-

English County Grammar Schools nominated player for this week.
72 were selected and invited to attend.
During the course of the week, there were 16 matches played against good quality teams,many professional(egChelsea,Tottenham,WBA,Coventry City,Aston Villa etc), some amateur, to enable the course selectors to assess players and playing combinations.
This process led to the selection of the team to play Eire.
Some of us, therefore, were elated but others disappointed.

Those of us that payed were awarded international caps which confirmed the status of the match.

I trust your disappointment did not prevent you enjoying many years playing the game we love.
Kind regards
Roger
RogerB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:14 am 
Post subject: England Grammar Schools XI v Eire 1966

My apologies to those following the data of this match, as I had promised a scan of the newspaper report when I found it and I've not complied! Well,I have found the cutting, but I'm afraid the 50 year old newsprint does not lend itself to scanning clearly so I can but re-type it below and I hope that will satisfy those of you who are interested :-

The Daily Telegraph 9th April 1966

(Headline) CLEMENTS GETS THE DECIDER

FA Schools XI 3, Republic of Ireland Youth XI 2

(Report) A brilliant shot from Clements five minutes from time gave the Schools XI victory after the Irish had come back from 0-2 down.
With the wing halves playing strongly the Schools soon took control, but 25 minutes had passed before Pinkney, put through by Wareing, gave them the lead. Badminton and Lewis were outstanding in a solid defence, and the Irish attack was held in a firm grip.
Clements shot the Schools further ahead 15 minutes after the restart but Ireland fought back with determination for Carroll and Vance (penalty) to bring them level. But with only five minutes left Clements's shot gave the Schools a well-deserved victory.
(end of report)

Thereafter is a team list of Schools XI players (as in my previous post) but no inclusion of the Irish team names. Should anyone have a team sheet for Ireland, I would love to have the details.

I hope this posting does not disappoint the readers.

Kind Regards
Roger[/u]
garyspain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:22 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Roger. I don't have the Irish lineup.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:24 am 
Post subject:

"Outstanding", Roger. Thank you.
Harjoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

I noticed that the Vance mentioned in this piece was Pat Vance of St Josephs Boys who played in what were the two Youth International in 1966 ,Pat went on to play for Drumcondra in the League of Ireland and I would be surprised if the youth teams that played in that match would be much changed from the one who played against Germany that same season ,so amybe if Gary has that programme he may get an idea of the team line up for the English match which is not recorded as an official match because from the records only the Germany match is listed ,
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

Great thread and what a good read! Bow
Harjoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

I have just checked and found the Carroll who scored for Ireland was J Carroll of Glasheen Cork who played the following season for the Irish Youths against England at home and he would have been a forward because Pat Vance played right half and his goal was a penalty so with O Mahoney of Limerick we have three of the team only another eight to go over to you Gary
Finbar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Roger

I stumbled across your post about the England Schools Vs Ireland match in 1966 in Oxford. I know you posted this 5 years ago but I'm hoping you'll see this. I played at outside left in this game for Ireland. In fact, you marked me! I'd be delighted to make contact. You can email me at [email protected].

Kind regards,

Finbarr O'Carroll
SteveBraintree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:52 pm 
Post subject: FA Schools v Eire Youth 1966

Hello,

I have just stumbled across this thread.

There is a full match report with the teams named in The Times. I can supply further details if required.
garyspain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 pm 
Post subject: Re: FA Schools v Eire Youth 1966

SteveBraintree wrote:
Hello,

I have just stumbled across this thread.

There is a full match report with the teams named in The Times. I can supply further details if required.

Thanks. Still looking for the programme as well.
SteveBraintree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
Thanks. Still looking for the programme as well.

I think it very unlikely that a programme was produced.
[/quote]
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: