Football Programmes Centre

Beyond the 92.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beyond the 92.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:31 am 
Post subject: Beyond the 92.

Really enjoy the Quest for the 92 thread. Apologies if we have one already, but if we haven't I think a thread that is outside the 92 would be even more interesting in some respects. Perfect time of the year for it. For those of us that only watch 'their team', it's pre season or FA Cup early rounds we can do this. To start the ball rolling, I was at Lincoln United yesterday to see 'us' win 5-2 in the Lincolnshire Cup. Played there several times, but first time I have managed to get along. Nothing outstanding at the ground or game, but a pleasurable day all round.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Good idea Earl. I'm glad you have enjoyed reading the quest for the 92 thread and I'm more than happy to contribute to a 'beyond the 92' thread as well. So here goes beginning this season:

Penistone Church July 10th 2015

No Macca tonight, as this was in the Barnsley area and it would be approaching darkness by the finish he declined as he was scared Sad
Got there about half an hour before kick off, the usual suspects had gathered for United's U21s to take on Penistone. Somebody had a brght idea to let Chris Morgan fill out the teamsheets and hence United's players were under the Penistone Church heading and vice versa. The printer was sat on a stool in the bar.

Nice to see former players Eddie Colquhoun and Billy Dearden in the bar and I spent a pleasant 15 minutes at half-time talking to the former Bradford City Goalkeeper Matt Duke. Our Danny didn't see too much of the game as there is a playing area next to the pitch where the locals had gathered with their pet kestrals. Razz

United won 1-0

Last edited by sharrowblade on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 pm 
Post subject:

This picture is of Crystal Palace fans at the Union Berlin ground, Stadion an der Alten Forsterei, (Stadium of the Old Forester) last Saturday, 18th July.

And below that is my ticket. This was my first time at a Palace game overseas, in my 54th season as a fan. I'm in there somewhere.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 pm 
Post subject:

Brigg Town July 11th 2015

The day after Penistone, I decided to treat the old man for his birthday and take him to one of Lincolnshire's hot spots. Brigg Town, to watch United's U18s. Tbh, he watches the U18s more than I do, so I volunteed to drive and made him pay for himself Laughing

Both the boys came as well, which was a surprise as Macca had been before. Very friendly club but have always struggled with attendances.

Dad's on the other side of this wall.....at the bar.

The food shed is in one corner of the ground, and the staff look like they take their work home with them Wink

There was a bonus at the interval , I actually won the raffle, which was a night out in Brigg for one, although I'm not sure what you actually would do on a night in Brigg.

Programme a standard A4 sheet folded in two

United won 3-0

Last edited by sharrowblade on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 am 
Post subject:

Stocksbridge Park Steels, July 15th 2015

Just the little un (Danny) and me for the U21s at Steels, Bracken Moor Ground.

Glorious evening sunshine betrayed the actual temperature, as the wind chill factor was mighty high, as it always is at steels. To combat this we spent the entire 1st half standing in the sunshine which was ok for the temperature but not for viewing.

Dan meets rising star Lou Reed of Sheffield United, when asked for his thoughts, Reed said 'its been a perfect day'.

Stocksbridge must be one of the best viewing galleries in local non league football, ok I admit we spent the entire second half in the bar Laughing

Good atmosphere as always, and a cracking game, decided by a length of the field solo run including a couple of side steps and a outrageous nut meg before a Carlos Alberto-esque finish by Joel Coustrain.

United won 3-2
bigearl79

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:04 am 
Post subject:

Had a feeling sharrow would reply lol. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Brigg. Used to be one of our regular pre season haunts but not this season. Lot's of Scunthorpe fan's have sneaky feeling May 8th will be a double promotion party. Even myself and I'm very cautious usually.
grantham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

Went a week ago to Brigg, how yellow is the pitch ?!?!

I track my ground visits on my website www.thefootballarchives.com
Saturday will see a trip to Bedworth United and 200th different ground, only 15 of the current 92
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Penistone Church FC.

I know many of the lads there that run the club and some of the players. They deserve their shot at the "big time" - Northern Counties East League - having played in the local Sheffield leagues throughout their existence.

Anyone thinking of dropping in at their excellent facilities wouldn't regret it.

If you fancy a step down into the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League, then Silkstone United (Division One) is a lovely setting. Just a couple of miles from Junction 37 of the M1. I am there most home games as my lad plays for them.

Sorry no programmes issued
bigearl79

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Penistone Church FC.

I know many of the lads there that run the club and some of the players. They deserve their shot at the "big time" - Northern Counties East League - having played in the local Sheffield leagues throughout their existence.

Anyone thinking of dropping in at their excellent facilities wouldn't regret it.

If you fancy a step down into the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League, then Silkstone United (Division One) is a lovely setting. Just a couple of miles from Junction 37 of the M1. I am there most home games as my lad plays for them.

Sorry no programmes issued

No programmes!!! Blasphemy lol. What they need is someone with a connection to the club and an interest in programme.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 am 
Post subject:

As a Non League fan, great idea.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am 
Post subject:

Matlock Town

Christ Amighty from Malaga to Matlock in 24 hours. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Its a bit cooler. Causeway Lane, the Gladiator Arena, United's coach Chris Morgan unleashing hell upon the barbarian hordes in blue.

The old man caused a rumpus at the turnstile as he was charged £4, and then spent several minutes pointing out that it had cost only £5 to watch Newcastle 2 days previously.

Worst still Programmes were in short supply, and had sold out half an hour before kick-off, panic set in as I searched the turnstile area, the club shop, the gateman, the turnstiles again, the food kiosk, several Sheffield United backroom staff before admitting defeat and retreating to the bar, where Luck, that fickle mistress, for once came to my aid as the Matlock Chairman came in with a handful of the sacred articles and was duly relieved of a couple.

Team sheets were readily available from the club shop for 10p, b&w or VIP colour which was the same but with a red band across the top Confused There was plenty of other programmes and books to choose from but the club shop is the size of a telephone box, and six people were in it at the same time and one of them had BO, so I resisted the temptation to root through a number of boxes.

The ground stands amidst a stunning backdrop and although not particular pleasing internally, there's a good chance you could punch your way through one of the stands,.... you'd go a long way to find a venue bettered on a summers evening.

At half time, I'm set upon by the old boy in the club shop who has found a copy of the match programme and sought to seek me out personally amongst the crowd of 416, there was a melancholy look in his eyes as I delivered the news that I'd already bagged a couple, but I thought it was a noble gesture on his behalf to go to so much trouble and I duly thanked him for his efforts.

The 32 page programme had more adverts than Yellow pages, but did have a comprehensive list of previous friendlies between the Gladiators and the Blades with short match reports, ticks all the right boxes for the saddo's like me.

Not the easiest place to park normally, (similar to Tesco's on a Saturday morning) with the park being located across the road, and being approx. 100 yards from the town centre but not too bad tonight.

United field a strong reserve side and end up 4-1 victors.
Tintowner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:08 am 
Post subject:

Your trip to Matlock mirrored my experience last season, when I went there with Grimsby Town.

I got there 45 minutes before kick off and the programmes had sold out. By all accounts, they had only printed 50 copies Shocked .

I did relay my shock to the good lady in the club shop, and she offered to get me a couple of copies reprinted. She took my name and address (and money) and a few days later they turned up Clap
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm 
Post subject:

Macclesfield Town.

Divorce proceedings are almost underway, as Tuesday night's visit to Matlock was followed 24 hours later with a trip through Buxton and over the big hill where sits the 'Cat and Fiddle' and down to Macc.

Macclesfield, a place where the most famous inhabitant 'Sweatty Betty' wore big knickers and worked on sewage Farm. A town built upon beer and sex and chips 'n' gravy. Laughing

Planned to be there an hour before kick off, but Macca had come and his stomach was rumbling. One thing I've learnt from football trips is to make sure the little monsters are fed. Therefore we arrive at 7 and park about 300 yards from the ground on a residential side street. One of the locals is non too happy and chunters 'bloody football' as I bid him a pleasant evening.

Heard there is one or two decent pubs nearby but didn't have time to frequent any of them.

The approach to the ground, is a cruel deception, as the main stand looks like a oversized greenhouse from our angle. We enter on the corner of 'the Henshaw Stand', a relative modern stand and the open terrace away end. £10 for me, £1 each for the young uns. Programmes were readily available inside, covering 5 friendlies, a 48 page effort costing £3 but to be fair a decent read. Clearly I've made an error of judgement with regards to team-sheets but I ask a young female steward who deserts her post and fetches me a couple from the inner bowels of the ground. She was a real star.

Ten minutes to half time I decide to check out the catering, what culinary delights would there be to entice me from my diet. Kit Kat, Marathon (Sorry, Snickers), and errrr.......yep that's your lot. Sad

In the second half I engage in conservation with Macca and Danny, about the notion that half of our fans are really ugly, I wish I hadn't because for the rest of the game an argument raged about who was in the ugly half. Bad Dad.

United win 4-0.

Friendly club...good pitch.....good night. Arrive home: 10.45 pm.

silkman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 am 
Post subject:

I say sharrowblade bit over the top what!

Yon locals do not like people parking near their houses and as for sweaty betty well that's another story.

Mad
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 am 
Post subject:

silkman1 wrote:
I say sharrowblade bit over the top what!

Mad

I know..... divorced for going to see 2 games on consecutive nights Confused
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

Spalding United

Visiting friends in Lincolnshire down at RAF Coningsby, as tradition dictates we leave the women folk to get blitzed over several bottles of red wine whilst we clear off to some local hotbed of football.

Sadly, Boston were away, so that left a choice between Grantham, Stamford, Spalding or the red and white wizards at Peterborough.

By mid-day, it was Spalding or the red and white wizards at Peterborough, by mid-afternoon the red and white wizards would have to do it on their own because the tickets at Posh were £76 plus another £15 on the gate. We had to draw the line somewhere!

We locate the ground which is situated right in the centre of town. Parking is free after 6pm and were 30 yards away from the turnstiles.

Team sheets are readily available if so required. Programme costs £2 and I ask to be thrown out immediately, on the grounds its raining and these babies need to find the warmth and the dryness of the car.

As usual I'm shown the gate, and unusually I'm allowed back in Laughing

It costs us £20 for 5 of us and the boys go and watch the teams warming up, whilst we head for the bar in the revamped clubhouse to get the drinks. We're still in there when the game kicks off and we still haven't moved when Spalding take the lead via a fortunate deflection after 8 minutes.

Finally we venture outside to find the lads engaged in conversation with a number of the Loughborough Dynamo substitutes who are asking for updates from the Manchester United/Malmo game.

The catering facilities are impressive, its a large operation located in the corner of the ground and although the chips resembled fingers of lard, its good service and very friendly.

There is the wonderfully named Programme and souvenir shop which in reality is actually a shed which hasn't got anything other than the match programme. However the club has a very good playing service, and a neat main stand. We're stood on the kop which turns out was erected by one of the committee who has his own engineering firm. Bravo that man, its a cracking effort.

Loughborough boys take the Spalding Kop.

At the end of the day, the hosts finish 2-0 winners, and the red and white wizards who are 20 minutes further south have won 3-1.

I ask the lads if they'd seen the second goal, but I'm met with disappointing looks before Macca confesses they'd been distracted by a couple of Spalding WAGS. Danny backed up this account by saying that one of them 'had an ass so big it blocked the view'.

I couldn't possibly comment. No

Excellent night out in the drizzle. Attendance: 109

Many thanks to the Loughborough lads for willing to talk to the gruesome twosome and their mate.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

Sheffield FC, The Waggon and Horses Ground

2 games in 4 days all both at the same ground. We're frequent visitors to the world's oldest club, and we have an infinity with the team ever since one of the numbers fell off the scoreboard a few years back and hit Macca on the head.

On Saturday, Newcastle Town were the visitors, the ground was bathed in sunlight and there was the added bonus that the 'sheffield ultras' weren't in attendance. A clan of mentally challenged inbred Wednesday fans from the same family who take up residence behind the bottom goal. They programme themselves to beat the corrugated panels at the back of the stand and shout 'You S**t b*****d' at every goal kick by the opposing goalkeeper. Thankfully I can enjoy my pie and peas splashed with Hendo's without feeling like launching it in their direction.
Its a decent crowd just shy of 300.

Shortly before half time I sneak out the gate and go to the pub which stands just outside, the club actively encourage this type of behaviour. For the real ale buffers which I am not I'm told its a good pint, its been voted the CAMRA pub of the season, whatever that means. For us mere phillistines it was to be a Pint of Amstel. there's plenty of room outside to sit, but don't expect it to be too peaceful as there is always a ball flying around your lugholes.

'Club' as they are effectionately known make heavy weather of the game before being victorious by 2 goals to 1.

On Tuesday, Lincoln United came to town for another Northern Premier Division 1 South fixture. I've been coaching so don't arrive until 15 minutes after kick-off, thankfully our Danny has got the programme and team sheet sorted. I've made the classic schoolboy error of still wearing shorts, thankfully I find a pair of trackies in the Reliant and I change in the pub at half time (you've got to haven't you?).

The man who scored the first ever Premier League Goal is watching. If he thought that was an honour he was about to meet the gruesome twosome. Laughing

Club despite being down to 10 men end up deservedly winning 3-1.

The lads embark on their usual pitch invasion at the end and a good night has been had by all.

Programme is £2, and constantly wins the division's best programme award. Teamsheet available for 20p. There is a small club shop just prey nobody breaks wind.

Admission is £8, £4 concessions, and free if you know the right people Wink
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 pm 
Post subject:

Dronfield Town, Stonelow Road

Dronfield, once a haven for council rate dodging Sheffielder's now a booming new town with an Aldi supermarket. Rossington Main provided the opposition for this North East Counties game and I took the tribe to the quaint setting of Stonelow Road.

There's a big crowd, (45) and there's four of us. Programme purchased and teamsheet complimentary I take my place in the Subbuteo stand whilst the lads run riot behind the goal during the warm up. I sit back and read the programme, 45 seconds later I've finished the programme and go and have a kick about by the side of the pitch where there's an open grass area.

News soon filter's through that United trail at Oldham, and I enter into a discussion with the Rossington keeper about where its all going wrong at the lane. Two minutes later he comes for a cross and misses it and the home team equalize, I think it wise not to discuss where it all went wrong there. At half time, we wander up to seek out refreshment. They're located in the changing rooms where the smell of Chilli blends with that of linament. 106 year old Doris apologizes for the lack of burgers as she can't find them, possibly couldn't see them.

Back at pitch-side,and we retake our position in front of the wall of Stonelow, its an impressive wooden fence about 30 ft tall, the theory being that it defends the local residents at one end from wayward rockets although one of the Rossington substitutes proved it wasn't quite high enough.

Its a good end to end game and with 13 minutes left the ref awards a penalty. It was a dubious call as from 100 yards away me, the lads, the Dronfield keeper and even Doris could see it clearly wasn't. The Rossington contingent felt aggrieved and the common feeling was that the ref was a 'cheating bastard'.

As the fall out continued the Dronfield keeper strode up-field to take the honours, the manager concerned at this shouted 'Is there anyone else who wants to take it'. The right back, seized the opportunity, 'I'll have it'. Expectations of glory etched upon his face, he hadn't scored since the U11s and that was twenty years ago. this was his moment, or it would have been until the bench shouted 'No, anyone but you' Laughing

As keepers do there was no finesse, as the net was nearly taken into orbit with a pile-driver straight down the middle. Then came the fateful words, 'Keep it tight lads, keep focused.

90 seconds later, the home side didn't keep it tight, and didn't focus. Protests of offside, handball, and for the winger being ugly fell on deaf ears as Rossington, levelled.

stereo-typical criticism of referee's being in-consistent were refreshingly absent, as everyone associated with Dronfield also labelled him a 'cheating bastard'. Doris had seen the red mist and was waving a sharp pointed umbrella in the direction of the man in black, although someone had to point out to her that she was actually threatening the groundsman.

All in all a good afternoon.

Price: £14 (1 x £5, 3 x £3)
Programme: £1
Tea/coffee £0.70
Burger: £1
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

I thought I had just about exhausted most venues to watch a game on the Fylde Coast but yesterday I managed to see a Lancashire Senior Cup tie at Poolfoot Farm which is the new training complex for Fleetwood Town.

The match was between Fleetwood and Oldham Athletic which Oldham won 7-6 on a penalty shoot out.

Didn't even have have to seek out a teamsheet as a nice lady brought some along the touchline just before kick-off.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

Grimsby Town, Blundell Park

When in Cleethorpes, we've always enjoyed the ambience of a night game and given the choice of watching Craig Revel Horwood skipping about on Strictly, or watching Craig Disley being light on his feet on the hallowed turf on Blundell Park, the latter won hands down.

I confess, I've never witnessed so many heinous, ghoulish, hideous looking people in one place, apart from Elland Road, but fortunately the club had supplied, the local young uns with halloween masks to make them better looking.

This season's programme is a tad disappointing compared to previous season's, its one of those recycled ones made from used toilet paper from the back of the Main stand, but the team-sheets are absolute quality which put a lot of league clubs to shame. Fortunately, I time my arrival to near perfection as they are just off the printer.

There's a good size crowd, Cheltenham have brought two mini buses, but there is still over 5,800. Both teams are well organized but arguably the Mariners have the better chances in the first half and are denied a clear penalty by the referee Mr S. Wonder. Before the resulting free kick can be administered there's a huge firework explosion above the away end which shower several players with large burning fragments. Three Cheltenham players had to change their shorts at half time.

For a late October evening in Cleethorpes, it was remarkably mild, unless you're in the Upper Findus Stand. So at half time, there was no need to sample the hot chocolate, a local delicacy dredged from the banks of the Humber. Instead I watch a game between two sets of little un's out in the middle whilst our Dan gives me advice on where the keeper's are going wrong. Confused

Not sure what that bloke in the background is doing with his Haddock?

Patience begins to erode early in the second half as the visitors begin to get on top, the Cheltenham Keeper, Phillips in particular appears popular with the locals behind the goal at the Pontoon end. Local butchers boy Dwayne is beside himself with communicating every swear word he knows, well at least two. To be fair, the keeper did ask him tone it down because of the kids, but that just set the kids off. 8 year old Bobbi repeatedly letting him know that he only had two fingers.

There's someone at the back of the stand with a voice like a foghorn warning the keeper 'its coming Phillips'. And he was right, it did come, but at the other end as veteren Aaron Downes swept in the winner.

Out into the night. It takes longer to walk back to the car than it does to get back to the caravan, must learn to park the car closer to the ground.

Overall, we always enjoy our games at Blundell Park, a good crowd but disappointed with the result, we want them back in the league. Smile

Tickets: £18 (1 x £16, 2 x £1)
Programme: £3
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: