Football Programmes Centre

Will the market ever recover?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will the market ever recover?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

I kinda went one, then two, a bit of three and four at the same time, five, then a bit of three again. I only ever fully sidelined the collection for a few years during stage two.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

I was a 'hooked young', but have phases of collecting old stuff and phases of just going to games and collecting the current stuff as it comes along.

To keep collecting the old stuff I want requires a fair bit of disposable money, so as I tried to say above there are phases of buying then times when the brakes have to go on.

Always come back to it though.
andrewesq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

Great topic and discussion point and one that i think could go on for a long time!

I think the essence has to be why are you collecting for monetary value, surely there are better things to invest in, art, jewelry gold etc! Does anyone have any knowledge on similar patterns happening with say stamps or coins since the game changer called ebay came along ??

Personally i collect out of interest and to gain knowledge/history of my club, i know my collection will never make me a millionaire i don't support a premier league team with international fans (nor even a league team now! Crying or Very sad ) so the market to sell on will never be there, however out of curiosity and to gain a better understanding of the history of the club i support i enjoy looking through the old programmes and collecting in general.

Yes the modern day programme depreciates in value quicker than my car! The £3 i spent is now worth 5p, but in today's disposable world would i rather spend £3 on a latte or on a programme i can keep, read forever and reminisce with?

But then comes one of the main reasons i think youngster don't collect - space! how many people have the storage, homes are getting smaller in size, today people dont have things - just like record collections have gone onto ipods, books onto kindles, people dont have the space they used to!, and when space is limited, is filling it up with worthless programmes the best thing to do?
tackler7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 am 
Post subject:

It is a case of supply and demand. For modern era programmes the internet has brought more supply than demand and prices are squeezed accordingly.

I was discussing with a fellow collector the issue of prices at a recent auction where old and rare items went for far more than expected. He had missed out as he had a price limit (four figures, not the fiver with wife's permission type) but wasn't downbeat as he explained it meant the rest of his collection had now increased in value.
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

I'd have been a bit embarrassed turning up to collect that lot and handing over a pound coin. I might have tried to get them to take a bit more money. Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

clsyorkshire wrote:
I'd have been a bit embarrassed turning up to collect that lot and handing over a pound coin. I might have tried to get them to take a bit more money. Neutral

I would say " keep the penny mate"
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: