Football Programmes Centre

Football Postcards[Not Traditional Team Lineups]
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football Postcards[Not Traditional Team Lineups]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:12 pm 
Post subject: Football Postcards[Not Traditional Team Lineups]

I have always found the early Postcards of interest where a team is portrayed in a different way other than on the pitch.

Barnsley[The Colliers] v Bradford City in the 4th round of the "English" Cup 1911-2.
Fantastic idea how this is laid out with the young boy on his bicycle taking all the balloons[with the players inside them] on a journey from Oakwell to "The PALACE!!"

This card is postally unused with a split back and the name of "G.W.Irving, Sheffield Road, Barnsley to the rear, printer or publisher or both?? card does not say

anyone got anything as creative and interesting as this postcard?

I am 99.9% MU but still appreciate quality items from other clubs.

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Just the traditional team postcards from me. Although there are one or two Brentford FC cards, that I know of, which aren't your usual team line ups, I haven't any pics of them though. Sad
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:03 am 
Post subject:

Great card Leslie.

Another unusually arranged postcard issued after Barnsley had won the FA Cup Semi Final in 1910 also produced by Irving of Sheffield Road. Seems he liked the "balloon idea"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnsleycollector/14331944038/in/album-72157626638709499/

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 am 
Post subject:

While I don't have any balloons to display, I do have a marvellous (even though I say it myself) collection of original Palace postcards and I'd like to show some here, and at the same time highlight the career of Palace's first real "star", one George Woodger, a highly skilled inside forward who played 177 times for Palace between 1905 and 1910 and bagged 47 goals.

The first shows Palace's 1906-7 cup run brilliantly portrayed with the victims suspended between the towers at the Palace. Southern League Palace, in only our second full season, had beaten Rotherham 4-0, Cup holders Newcastle 1-0 at St James's, Fulham after a replay (Woodger scored the winner), and Brentford also after a replay.

Sadly the run ended in a replay at Goodison.

Next is a team line-up with a difference, this is the team that enjoyed that cup run. Woodger is in the bottom row, second right.

Here's George himself, nicknamed "The Lady" by Palace fans (including my grandfather) as he was unusually skilful in those rough & tumble days. This is one of over 40 postcards I have of Palace players between 1905 and 1930.

Finally, in 1910, George was transferred to then giants of Division One Oldham Athletic for a fee reputed to be anywhere between £450 and £800 - at a time when the record was still the £1000 paid for Alf Common. In February 1911, Woodger was rewarded with an England cap for the game with Ireland played at Derby County. Here he is in the Athletic forward line, second right.

(This one is on sale, if anyone's interested!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:17 am 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
Great card Leslie.

Another unusually arranged postcard issued after Barnsley had won the FA Cup Semi Final in 1910 also produced by Irving of Sheffield Road. Seems he liked the "balloon idea"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnsleycollector/14331944038/in/album-72157626638709499/

that is a cracker as well-does it turn up at all or very scarce?-have you seen the one I posted before?
I would be interested in the other "balloon" card if you know where another one may happen to be that is available.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:20 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
While I don't have any balloons to display, I do have a marvellous (even though I say it myself) collection of original Palace postcards and I'd like to show some here, and at the same time highlight the career of Palace's first real "star", one George Woodger, a highly skilled inside forward who played 177 times for Palace between 1905 and 1910 and bagged 47 goals.

The first shows Palace's 1906-7 cup run brilliantly portrayed with the victims suspended between the towers at the Palace. Southern League Palace, in only our second full season, had beaten Rotherham 4-0, Cup holders Newcastle 1-0 at St James's, Fulham after a replay (Woodger scored the winner), and Brentford also after a replay.

Sadly the run ended in a replay at Goodison.

Next is a team line-up with a difference, this is the team that enjoyed that cup run. Woodger is in the bottom row, second right.

Here's George himself, nicknamed "The Lady" by Palace fans (including my grandfather) as he was unusually skilful in those rough & tumble days. This is one of over 40 postcards I have of Palace players between 1905 and 1930.

Finally, in 1910, George was transferred to then giants of Division One Oldham Athletic for a fee reputed to be anywhere between £450 and £800 - at a time when the record was still the £1000 paid for Alf Common. In February 1911, Woodger was rewarded with an England cap for the game with Ireland played at Derby County. Here he is in the Athletic forward line, second right.

(This one is on sale, if anyone's interested!)

Hi Pete

excellent cards for sure! PM me with the details of the card that is available and any others you may have of any other clubs-ok
L
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 am 
Post subject:

some nice cards on display-anyone got any others at all?

here is a United 3 that are a bit different all relating to the 1909 Cup Final

https://flic.kr/p/6cS7rs
https://flic.kr/p/6cMZ78
https://flic.kr/p/bwZCyN

Wave
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 am 
Post subject:

Interesting that even before 'old' Wembley it was tradition to go up the steps to the VIP bit of the centre stand to collect the cup.

Keep them coming Pete!
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am 
Post subject:

Once again, nice cards Pete. Smile

I take exception to the top one though! Wink Shocking treatment of a Bee! Smile
Fishy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:57 am 
Post subject:

Fantastic collection of cards chaps - thanks for sharing Smile
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 am 
Post subject:

The "en voyage to Crystal Palace" 1910 balloon card turns up now and again - seen it go for £40 BIN and £30 auction on ebay

This aeronautical card is even more imaginative - again issued during the 1910 Cup run. This time by Will Randall of Peel Street, Barnsley. Taken from the excellent book "Lifting The Cup - The Story of Battling Barnsley 1910 - 1912". I am looking for an original of this one

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 am 
Post subject:

Superb stuff from Barnsley!!

On a rather more sombre note, I have 2 postcards concerning Palace forward Charlie Woodhouse. The first is a bit tatty but still precious.

Born in Birmingham in 1885, Woodhouse was signed by Palace from Halesowen Town soon after the start of the 1910-11 season. A centre forward, he scored on his Southern League debut in a 5-4 win over Leyton. He ended that season with 15 goals in 34 games as Palace finished 4th.

In 1911-12 he was going well and had 6 goals in 11 games, including the winning penalty v Luton Town on 4th November, but his last match was at Reading on 25th November and he died tragically on 7th December - I'm not sure of the cause. He was 26.

This postcard shows the hearse covered in wreaths and the cortege at his funeral in Anerley Hill.

I hope those young men and the small boy survived the forthcoming War.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

Here's a couple......HMS Pompey 1933/34

And a more recent one.......a free mac for the team re the 39 cup final

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
SADDLERSFAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm 
Post subject:

nice cards

Last edited by SADDLERSFAN on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrewesq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

Fantastic Post, the bicycle and hot air balloon ideas beats the old singing around the Christmas Tree any day!, Did i say Christmas in June arghh!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

SADDLERSFAN wrote:

Paid £10 for this on Bilston market

well done Bazza
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

Also found this one - again a copy and looking for an original - surely there can't be another card similar to this one...

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53 pm 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
Also found this one - again a copy and looking for an original - surely there can't be another card similar to this one...

Never say Never, where there is one.......

What sort of price would you expect to have to pay for this card and the other one that you mentioned earlier?
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

Don't recall seeing the aeroplane or coal seam one for sale at anytime whereas the balloon card has cropped up a couple of times on ebay and the one posted here is in my collection.

I am sure that the others would easily top the £50+ mark as they would attract postcard collectors as well as football collectors not being simple team line ups.

But I picked up a 1907 Barnsley FA Cup card for under £4 when I know the same card has sold for upto £40 - so you never know....
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
The first is a bit tatty but still precious.

Born in Birmingham in 1885, Woodhouse was signed by Palace from Halesowen Town soon after the start of the 1910-11 season. A centre forward, he scored on his Southern League debut in a 5-4 win over Leyton. He ended that season with 15 goals in 34 games as Palace finished 4th.

In 1911-12 he was going well and had 6 goals in 11 games, including the winning penalty v Luton Town on 4th November, but his last match was at Reading on 25th November and he died tragically on 7th December - I'm not sure of the cause. He was 26.

Looks ok once it's been photoshopped a little!

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: