Football Programmes Centre

My oldest home for my club
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My oldest home for my club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

wandererpaul wrote:

tarted the programme up a bit, looks a little better now. Smile

WOW, Eamonn is getting quicker these days Laughing
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

Don't restore it. Less authentic then. It's an old item, accept it as it is.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:35 pm 
Post subject:

Sir Moses Hill wrote:

It’s a personal thing I suppose, I have had items restored in the past and its increased my enjoyment of them, but everyone is different.

That said, if a programme is pretty badly damaged/worn to the point of disintegration where they won’t take much handling, I’d recommend restoration. Have had this done on a couple of programmes and Eamonn has done a fantastic job, stabilised the programme and brought it back to life.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:42 pm 
Post subject:

Couldn't agree more.

I once had a B.A.O.R. V Manchester United which is a very rare item as it's Matt Busby's first oversea's match in charge.

It looked like it had been eaten by a hungry dog!

Eamonn got hold of it and restored it ...he is a miracle worker and it came back in very good order.

I sold it obviously stating the restoration work. The buyer was extremely happy as there's not many around and considered it a bargain.

It's personal choice I guess.
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:43 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Sir Moses Hill wrote:

It’s a personal thing I suppose, I have had items restored in the past and its increased my enjoyment of them, but everyone is different.

That said, if a programme is pretty badly damaged/worn to the point of disintegration where they won’t take much handling, I’d recommend restoration. Have had this done on a couple of programmes and Eamonn has done a fantastic job, stabilised the programme and brought it back to life.

Yes, personal preference, I agree. I've huge admiration for the skill involved in restoration; it's just not for me. I'm softer on cleaning and rust removal than on replacing missing sections of paper. In the case of the latter, one is adding new to the old to give the appearance that the whole item is both old and original, which it is not, and that diminishes its value as a historical artifact in my eyes.
facup1939

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

I have thought about having it restored over the years, but can never quite make my mind up, and it is interesting to see the conflicting views on this post.
Have to admit though, the tarting up done by wandererpaul does improve the look.
I will probably get a quote, but it is 8 pages so presumably not going to be cheap.
Still, I enjoy it, I count myself lucky to have obtained it, and am not going to sell it.
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

facup1939 wrote:
I have thought about having it restored over the years, but can never quite make my mind up, and it is interesting to see the conflicting views on this post.
Have to admit though, the tarting up done by wandererpaul does improve the look.
I will probably get a quote, but it is 8 pages so presumably not going to be cheap.
Still, I enjoy it, I count myself lucky to have obtained it, and am not going to sell it.

Why not get some advice about stabilising the programme first? to stop anymore paper loss or the Sellotape deteriorating the paper any further. If you feel it's worth doing, then that's your choice and no one else's.

What you could do, if you want to keep it as it is, would be to scan it page by page, if possible, and then photoshop the programme to get it to a point where it looks as if it's complete and to then print off a copy of it for personal use, to save you touching the original and have that kept securely in an acid free environment to stop anymore damage being done to it.

It took me five minutes to do a rough "touch up" job, you could get a good copy by doing it well.

Anyway, a nice rare item. Smile

As were the Southampton programmes too, wow, I wish there were one or two Brentford ones around, we know they were printed, as programme sellers and programmes were mentioned in old reports and articles on the football club in the 1890's. It's just finding one! Smile
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

Sir Moses Hill wrote:
Yes, personal preference, I agree. I've huge admiration for the skill involved in restoration; it's just not for me. I'm softer on cleaning and rust removal than on replacing missing sections of paper. In the case of the latter, one is adding new to the old to give the appearance that the whole item is both old and original, which it is not, and that diminishes its value as a historical artifact in my eyes.

I equate it to old cars, when you restore them inevitably they need some rust eaten metal replaced, new parts and a re-spray. It’s still the same car and it makes the ownership experience much more enjoyable when it’s not falling to bits.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 pm 
Post subject:

I have an obsession with ex League programmes. It is unlikely that I will ever own an Aberdare Athletic home but this away at Watford from 22/3 is a lovely old programme. I know there must be much older Watford items out there and it would be great to see some examples on here
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

I am in process of filing my pre war items in fabulous binders that I bought from John Wilson at JW Binders. Just came across this one - a Bolenium West Ham reserves v Charlton from February 1926. Not particularly valuable but a fantastic programme.
Again I hope it prompts a few pictures of really old West Ham. I would love to see West Ham v Carlisle in the 1909/10 FAC - is there a copy out there?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite true, strictly speaking, as I've recently acquired a couple that are slightly older but I don't want to scan them as yet until I'm certain in my mind that laying them flat in the scanner won't damage them.

Anyway, Derby County v Arsenal from season 1927/28

andy1966

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

This is my oldest one

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 am 
Post subject:

Here's my oldest Palace away programme from our early Football League history. I have a reserve (London League) programme at Chelsea from 1911 but that's only a single-sheet and this one is 8 page.

Barnsley v Palace 29.8.1921 Second Division L 1-3

Here's the middle page - I particularly like the advert half-way up on the right

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

As far as I know Carlisle's first regular season of issuing programmes was 1920/1. I started this thread with the programme from 1908 but suspect programmes were only issued for special games. The first two programmes v Spennymoor and Leadgate Park are from 20/1 and the third is an FA Cup Qualifier against fellow Cumbrians, Cleator Moor Celtic, from 21/2.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

The oldest I have is this one. Away at Owlerton on the 13-January-1906in the F.A.Cup 1st round.

The oldest home I have is below. It's only a copy so sorry it's not a good image. Swindon Town, 28-March-1908.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

The Wednesday programme is very nice. What was the score? I think Wednesday won the cup the following year. Was probably a big match for Rovers at the time
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

Not in the same league as the ones above but here is oldest one I have of my team

Last edited by Tigerhawk on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

Don't know the score of-hand without looking it up but we lost. Well it was Rovers. And yes as a Southern league club at the time this must have been one of our biggest games so far.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
grantham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
The Wednesday programme is very nice. What was the score? I think Wednesday won the cup the following year. Was probably a big match for Rovers at the time

http://www.thefootballarchives.com/network/match.php?MID=457898
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Don't know the score of-hand without looking it up but we lost. Well it was Rovers. And yes as a Southern league club at the time this must have been one of our biggest games so far.

1-0 to Wednesday.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/s.....06-205891/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: