Football Programmes Centre

New Season, New Programme Challenge
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Season, New Programme Challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:02 pm 
Post subject: New Season, New Programme Challenge

After reading the recent 'oldest programme I own' thread which features many a nice programme, thanks to all who have contributed so far. Must say really enjoyed it.

There seems to be a new influx of scanner-wise collectors nowadays which is good.

Perhaps it would be a good time to resurrect the popular 'A programme from a day in history', after an absence of more than a year.

I wonder how many different clubs we can come up with this year.

And can we do the whole calender year. I think last time we missed June 23rd and June 28th.

I'm going to make it a 'programme from any sport' theme, day by day, beginning 1st July. Can we do it? Confused

If there is a story behind the programme or how you came by it then it would be great to hear it.

Hope Jamie, can do a new sub section in this section July 2015

Regards Sharrow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
grantham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

Have to say, I really did enjoy that thread
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

Oh no, not the programme on this day thread again.

Last time there was only a very few of us who tried to keep this going day after day.

It seemed that most people on here couldn't be bothered contributing.

We had this discussion more than once and I was relieved when you agreed to calling it a day sharrow.

Hopefully we may get a few more contributors this time as there does appear to be some additional enthusiastic posters since last time.

I am not sure I can contribute as much this time as all the interesting stuff has already been shown.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:

Last time there was only a very few of us who tried to keep this going day after day.

It seemed that most people on here couldn't be bothered contributing.

Well, it certainly allowed me to see many Blackpool issues I never would otherwise have had the chance to!

But why so few contributed was always baffling to me......especially when another thread about, say, used envelopes or non-tax paying pseudo-traders would get so many rushing vigorously to their keyboards Smile

I'm all for it starting up again, though. It made a nice change to read posts where the price of something or other wasn't the be-all and end-all....
seand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:15 pm 
Post subject:

two issues for contributors on this topic, posting images is a bit more effort than just posting text and most people won't know the date of their programmes without cross-referencing another source. I have a couple of hundred scans but I've no idea what date any of them were played. Yeh, I suppose I could do a bit of planning ahead.... tis effort though!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
two issues for contributors on this topic, posting images is a bit more effort than just posting text and most people won't know the date of their programmes without cross-referencing another source. I have a couple of hundred scans but I've no idea what date any of them were played. Yeh, I suppose I could do a bit of planning ahead.... tis effort though!

And that is the crux of the whole matter. Time and effort.

When we had this feature last time I thought it would be good to contribute when I had something interesting to show and I set about checking the older or more unusual programmes such as pre war, wartime, friendlies, tours, youth etc.

As I had some time on my hands I built a spreadsheet and allocated programmes to dates. I was surprised to cover so many different dates at one go and then it escalated from there.

It was fairly straightforward to then select dates from my records and fill the gaps.

There was some scanning to do but a lot of my collection is already scanned so that cut down on the work a little.

If you have some spare time it is a rewarding thing to do as you start to discover things about games and programmes that you didn't previously know or perhaps had forgotten.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

Can I add that I have repeatedly scanned programmes to the smallest possible pixelation, much smaller than the size mentioned on the Upload Picture function, only to be told that my image is too large - having written the article that goes with it. That is very frustrating and the cause of my scanty contribution to this thread in the past. I have mentioned this to the mods, maybe a year or more ago now, but nothing has changed.

And this happened again last night on the "My old home" thread when I scanned a second programme for my comment (a colour cover Hull City prog from 1925) and despite 3 or 4 attempt at resizing it, and with a final size of 347x567 the File Exceeds Limit. It still does, I just tried to upload it here.

Until that is sorted there is no point in scanning my programmes for this thread. Sorry chaps.

Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: New Season, New Programme Challenge

sharrowblade wrote:

Hope Jamie, can do a new sub section in this section July 2015

Regards Sharrow

Done.

Cheers, Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: