Football Programmes Centre

Can't give them away!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can't give them away!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:56 pm 
Post subject: Can't give them away!

This one will get a few going.

I get tired of listening to people saying (mostly about modern 'tat')

'you can't give them away'.................... when the truth is...... you wouldn't!
I've heard it all the time, In have a shed full, a lockup full...... I can't even give it away'

The somebody comes along who might want to start at the modern end and work their way back........ then its 'bedroom bandit' time and what you 'can't give away' one day you sell the next.

Come on then lads ....lets get a good debate going on here.

PS; I have actually 'given away' stuff to people in the past.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

If future dealers cannot afford £500 for 10,000 programmes with a resale value of £1 each. I would rather burn them. Sherlock
kenners46

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

I recently tried to sell probably more than 3000 programmes (listed as 2500+) on ebay for less than £50, nothing special in there but was collection only, not one bid or email asking what was there. As I needed the space they went up the road to the charity shop
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder what the print run was for each decade. Are pre war rare because of a tiny production rate or no one collected them so most were thrown away ? If your average top club has 200 collectors of various degrees and a print run of 10,000/20,000 it's hardly rocket science to suggest modern programmes (1960s onwards ) are pretty much worth less.
Goonerak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

It's a matter of someone at the right time wanting them

Not a sniff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967.....35e9911bd8

Next week
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967.....35e9f8d059
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

nothing really sells on ebay nowadays especially now that there is the added fee for postage and once you take off paypal fees then you rarely make a profit anymore.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

Ebay has everything there own way and so do the buyers Ive had 11 orders gone missing since March.
It really peas me off when Recorded deliverys go missing and you need a degree to fill out all the information.. Then 3 months down the line IF you get compensation its not for the full amount.

Beware sending to Greece ive had 4 orders go missing in the last week the place is rife with petty theft. Shocked
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

Has anyone in Greece got any money ?
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

As to Goonerak being unable to sell complete seasons, this often proves to be the case. A lot of the modern run of the mill stuff is like pulp fiction.
Part of the fun of collecting is surely completing a season, if that's your thing. I always liken this to buying a crossword with all the answers with all the answers filled in! I must however admit to recently buying a complete season, but that was because I could not get the one I needed. Anyone interested in a complete Southport last league season homes 78/9 less Northampton or even have one to sell?
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 am 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
Ebay has everything there own way and so do the buyers Ive had 11 orders gone missing since March.
It really peas me off when Recorded deliverys go missing and you need a degree to fill out all the information.. Then 3 months down the line IF you get compensation its not for the full amount.

Beware sending to Greece ive had 4 orders go missing in the last week the place is rife with petty theft. Shocked

You seem quick to blame the Royal Mail here, but don't you think it could be dishonest buyers just as easily ??? Ive posted many an item by recorded delivery and had confirmation of the safe arrival of the item from the buyer, however the Recorded Delivery has never been recorded as signed off, or confirmed by Royal Mail ( Track and Trace ) . This of course could just be down to incompetence by Royal Mail, but the buyer has claimed for his money back as well ...............always be suspicious is my moto ......
treble99

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:52 am 
Post subject:

it's all about the level you are collecting or dealing it

the people who supply say 1980's onwards programmes to collectors know that any investment over a tenner for the largest box of modern tat you can carry is going to take a while to turn into £20
That might sound like not much but is actually a healthy 100% profit

Now anybody who is going to collect at that level is aware that for his fiver he doesn't want to spend £1.20 on P & P

So on ebay neither a buyer nor a seller be at this level

The buyer/dealer/bedroom bandit will only chuck his tenner away at a car boot sale or a local auction where nobody else is interested in a box of modern tat

He will then put it next to his other 10/20 boxes of modern tat and hover round forums waiting for the magic words "i'm a newbie" or i only need x and y to complete 1995/96 season
that's when he springs to life

Yes of course there is a market but it is in comparison to 6 year olds swapping cards in the playground
Eventually those cards vanish and a new set comes out
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am 
Post subject: Post

Just experienced what treble said regarding recorded delivery just popped out and the recorded delivery parcel had been pushed through the letterbox
Good job I'm honest but can now see why people get conned
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

I have had a tracked delivery claimed as being missing , and when the tracking details were provided got some cock and bull story about iyt being misdelivered to the wrong address but he had managed to recover it.

Cynical though I am I look up addresses for stuff on the cusp of being worth tracking and see what the property looks like...I am sure stuff does go missing legitimately but with me once bitten twice shy...something goes missing then they get on the blocked bidder list....because shock horror the stuff I pay for always seems to get to me!

the worst thing ebay ever did was stop feedback on buyers being able to be negative....they can do what they like and never get held to account...

We sellers have no option but to use the site for the rest of the genuine audience.

Rant over
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: Post

holtie96 wrote:
Just experienced what treble said regarding recorded delivery just popped out and the recorded delivery parcel had been pushed through the letterbox
Good job I'm honest but can now see why people get conned

Treble never once mentioned recorded delivery ?????????
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:00 pm 
Post subject: Kl track

Sorry I meant roughy looked at the thread after didbt have my glasses on!
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

RECORDED DELIVERY ITEM MESSAGE FROM A BUYER

I purchased and paid for the above items on Saturday 25th April 2015. On the 6th May I messaged the seller asking if they could confirm that the items had been despatched and if they had when I could expect to receive them.
In response the seller advised me that the items had been posted on Monday 27th April by Confirmed Delivery - BZ398434761GB. I have made enquiries of the Post Office who have told me that the items were and should have been delivered on Wednesday 29th April 2015. I advised the Post Office that I had been in all that day and had received no Post at all. On closer inspection the Post Office raised concerns over the signature which was completely ineligible and in no way corresponded with the printed name as it should.
It was suggested I speak to my normal Postman to see if he could shed any light as to the items whereabouts. I have now had the opportunity to speak with him - He checked his records and confirmed that he has had no recent Confirmed Post which required signature by me -
He also stressed that if he had left the item with a neighbour he would have left me a card advising where I could locate it. I have also made enquiries at my local Post Office -
But again nothing has been left there. Again concern was raised over the authenticity of the signature of the recipient. I have again spoken with my local sorting office and they confirm that the matter needs to be thoroughly looked into. In order to do this the seller needs to report the item as lost - They tell me that as the seller posted the item their legal obligation is with him, The seller has the posting receipt and is able to give accurate details as to contents and packaging. They went onto say that any claim for compensation would be settled with the seller as per normal Ebay/Royal Mail practice. I would really like the items but as it is I remain out of pocket and without the items which seems a little unfair.

I have refunded the buyer in full, ven though its been signed for at his end.I now have to wait 3 months to claw my money back
£24.50 that i posted for free.

Theft at the Royal mail is rife and not to be trusted
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
RECORDED DELIVERY ITEM MESSAGE FROM A BUYER

I purchased and paid for the above items on Saturday 25th April 2015. On the 6th May I messaged the seller asking if they could confirm that the items had been despatched and if they had when I could expect to receive them.
In response the seller advised me that the items had been posted on Monday 27th April by Confirmed Delivery - BZ398434761GB. I have made enquiries of the Post Office who have told me that the items were and should have been delivered on Wednesday 29th April 2015. I advised the Post Office that I had been in all that day and had received no Post at all. On closer inspection the Post Office raised concerns over the signature which was completely ineligible and in no way corresponded with the printed name as it should.
It was suggested I speak to my normal Postman to see if he could shed any light as to the items whereabouts. I have now had the opportunity to speak with him - He checked his records and confirmed that he has had no recent Confirmed Post which required signature by me -
He also stressed that if he had left the item with a neighbour he would have left me a card advising where I could locate it. I have also made enquiries at my local Post Office -
But again nothing has been left there. Again concern was raised over the authenticity of the signature of the recipient. I have again spoken with my local sorting office and they confirm that the matter needs to be thoroughly looked into. In order to do this the seller needs to report the item as lost - They tell me that as the seller posted the item their legal obligation is with him, The seller has the posting receipt and is able to give accurate details as to contents and packaging. They went onto say that any claim for compensation would be settled with the seller as per normal Ebay/Royal Mail practice. I would really like the items but as it is I remain out of pocket and without the items which seems a little unfair.

I have refunded the buyer in full, ven though its been signed for at his end.I now have to wait 3 months to claw my money back
£24.50 that i posted for free.

Theft at the Royal mail is rife and not to be trusted

see my post above

Just to add I must admit that when I sign for items that are delivered to my address my signature is very ......eerrr rough to say the least . . . . . . also when I check that items I have sent have been delivered the signatures that are shown on Track and Trace are, 95% of the time nothing like a real signature and are just a squiggle. However this is not totally unexpected as when you have to balance a small mobile phone device in mid air and sign it on a tiny screen with a plastic stick unfortunately that's all you are going to get. I think its all down to honesty , and unfortunately 33% of people you deal with ( and that includes life in general ) are just not honest
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

Well this is bizarre because you have a signature , all be it not a good one. Now the thing is, it is very simple to trace which postman obtained the signature simply because every postman in the country has his own unique sign in name and pin number for use with a signature gun. So if it's not the regular postman then it would be easy to find out which one. So, if as you say the postman stole the package, then he'd be stark raving bonkers to " sign" for the item using his gun. He could simply steal it without a signature so not to leave a trace. I'm guessing the buyer scribbled this bollocks then claimed he never received it. Or the postman made a mistake , i.e. knocked on the door of Oxford Close instead of Oxford Street. It happens. Someone signed for it , realised it wasn't for them but had it anyway.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Your item with reference BZ398434761GB was delivered from our NORWICH Delivery Office on 29/04/15 .

Thank you for using our Royal Mail Signed For™ service

BUMBLING POSTMAN MORE LIKE obtained a signature but the buyer says its not his signature
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

All the postman can say is ""can I have a signature"". What else can he do? Hardly his fault. The system is flawed. The customer would soon moan if they had to PROVE who they where. Can I have a signature and see your passport as well . That'll go down very well.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: