Football Programmes Centre

Graham Budd's Auction
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Graham Budd's Auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:44 pm 
Post subject: Graham Budd's Auction

Did anyone attend or bid yesterday at all?.

Many high quality items as usual but plenty of others too that mere mortals like u and I could buy.

I have said this before that after GB auction which has to be the best presented and has some quality items nothing gets a mention on this forum, yet some back street auction house finds 20 pre-war Scunthorpe or Gillingham and the forum goes into melt down.

Previous comments on Budd's was that it was only the rich and famous-well I am neither and I managed to find a few bits and none of those were highly priced but I did lose out on some others but then I expected too with some new kids on the block.

No abuse required just some general feedback please.

If you cannot say anything positive then say nothing at all Laughing

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

A quality auction, quality items, but nothing which fell into my sphere of collecting or fell into my fish and chip budget.

Nice catalogues though.
DySporting

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:03 pm 
Post subject:

I looked at the catalogue on line but decided against it - most would be out of my price range!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:36 pm 
Post subject:

Rather disappointed.

There was one lot that I was interested in comprising at least 100 items.

As I was unable to check the precise contents personally I requested a breakdown.

I appreciate this would be a time consuming task for someone, and I was very grateful when Graham got back to me with a rough idea of the contents and details of some specific programmes.

Everything I was aware of I did not require but there was also a batch of about 20 (unlisted) programmes which may have contained something of interest.

Unfortunately without knowing the specific make up of these 20 or so I was not prepared to take a chance.

I think the lot sold for about £600.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

I have had some good finds in GB auctions in the past but the Plymouth supplies have dried up of late ( not just here but also Sportingold etc so feeding on scarps.

I missed the one lot I might have been tempted by...have to earn the corn to spend it...a Moses Russell International cap which went below estimate...but then of course if I had bid who knows what the other bidder would have done.

Just hooping that the Sundeland boys on here got hold of the good stuff and that whoever bought the Aldershot reserves ploughts though and lists any v Plymouth on eBay.

I assumed Leslie bought the 15K Manchester united medal but maybe not reading his mail!
foyle loyal

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

bid on the 3 arsenal rangers programmes,never got them,went for £230 if I mind right
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm 
Post subject:

Managed to get the 2 items i put a bid on, namely the 1894/1904 Bolton wanderers supporters favour, and the Sunderland supporters favour from the 1913 Cup Final, i was more than happy with the prices they went for, items like these are extremely rare and will add greatly to my collection
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:51 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:
I have had some good finds in GB auctions in the past but the Plymouth supplies have dried up of late ( not just here but also Sportingold etc so feeding on scarps.

I missed the one lot I might have been tempted by...have to earn the corn to spend it...a Moses Russell International cap which went below estimate...but then of course if I had bid who knows what the other bidder would have done.

Just hooping that the Sundeland boys on here got hold of the good stuff and that whoever bought the Aldershot reserves ploughts though and lists any v Plymouth on eBay.

I assumed Leslie bought the 15K Manchester united medal but maybe not reading his mail!

Ha!!! never assume I think your getting me confused with the United collector who claims to have the world's biggest Man U collection-can't think of his name right now-oh yes trouble99 that's the one Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
WBA57

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

the GB auction is one of the best auctions if not the best, I have confidence when they describe the items unlike a certain other auction house, I had a bad experience a year or two ago when the batch of Newcastle programmes I bought some of them have the centre/team sheet pages torn out this was not noted in the description
when I complained they refused to do give me my money back
I believe this auction house has some other problems having read other posts on here.

I bid for a few items yesterday but unfortunately was not successful
I attended the viewing on the Monday to look at a couple of lots, one lot I was interested in was lot 1211, a batch of Chelsea away programmes which included (21) 1954/5's, I was looking for a copy of the rare west brom match dated 08/03/55, I was very pleased to see the programme was included, the estimate was £250/£350, I bid £650 but the lot went for £900
lot 1232 was both 1954/5 FA Youth cup programmes between Man U & West Brom, the Man U programme had the scores written in & there was an ink spot, I do not have the West Brom leg so I was interested,
the estimate was £150/£200, too high in my opinion, a Man U programme in good condition was sold for £32 last week on ebay,
this lot went for £220, I did not bid.
lot 1253 was a nice batch of (139) mid to late 1950's Sunderland home programmes, estimate £350/£450, I bid up to £750 but the lot was sold for £850
happy days for someone but not me
matt blue

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:17 pm 
Post subject:

I purchased the 1925 cup final pirate programme. Yes it was in poor condition but it was only £75.

If I was still employed and not a student bum I would of given the 25 cup final and ticket a go. Very cheap at £750

Take a look at my work in progress !!
mustard68

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 pm 
Post subject: Graham Budds auction

I went down for both days.
Very good set up, staff really helpful and a huge amount of excellent items.
I got a few, a couple of england pre war, missed out on a dozen or so others but had a great time.
I know some people think the hobby is dying out but it didnt seem like it down there with bidders in the room, 4 or 5 telephones on the go.the internet buzzing and then Mr B himself weighing in on behalf of huge commission bids.
Definitely to be recommended.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm 
Post subject: Re: Graham Budds auction

mustard68 wrote:
I went down for both days.
Very good set up, staff really helpful and a huge amount of excellent items.
I got a few, a couple of england pre war, missed out on a dozen or so others but had a great time.
I know some people think the hobby is dying out but it didnt seem like it down there with bidders in the room, 4 or 5 telephones on the go.the internet buzzing and then Mr B himself weighing in on behalf of huge commission bids.
Definitely to be recommended.

Would like to get down to one, even if its just to experience it as I have never attended an auction in person and the days of Christies Glasgow or even Convery Auctions are long gone.

I'll wait until there are two or three lots that fit the bill, might take a wee while though!
tackler7

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

I went on Monday and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It was the day Nigel Wray bought the Helsinki Olympic torch for 420,000 hammer price. How quick that sort of money can go!

I was outbid on my first item but won the other- slightly more than I wanted to pay but hey-ho it's only money!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:
I went on Monday and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It was the day Nigel Wray bought the Helsinki Olympic torch for 420,000 hammer price. How quick that sort of money can go!

I was outbid on my first item but won the other- slightly more than I wanted to pay but hey-ho it's only money!

gotta sell a lot of dominoes to earn that-probably take him around 45 minutes!

Is anyone aware of the book that he had published as "The Priory Collection"?.

It was not for sale but produced by him to give away to friends and whoever, talk about a Coffee table book you would need reinforced steel legs to support it!. 236 pages measures 36 x 30 cm weighs a nice few kilos.

Many of the images are just stunning from Cricket to Tennis-Golf-Rugby-Horse Racing-Olympics-Football + other items with some of sports most prized possessions all under one collection, some of the items having cost millions each in some cases.

I do not know if this book can be viewed online anywhere but here he is and a few of his odds and ends.

Wave

[img]
tackler7

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

You can view his collection via his online museum. It's clunky and these days there is better ways of showing it online but it is still worth a look if you have the patience.
gatfb

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 am 
Post subject:

' 1211, a batch of Chelsea away programmes which included (21) 1954/5's'

I was the under bidder on that lot.

Missed out on everything I bid on. However one lot I wanted to bid on, and judging by hammer price I had a good chance of winning, I forgot that I was still watching as a guest and not logged in to bid Sad
Jambojim

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:59 pm 
Post subject:

Missed out on the Jack Harkness Scotland top Sad
capetown3673

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Jambojim wrote:
Missed out on the Jack Harkness Scotland top Sad

Got a ROCHDALE Lancashire Combination Winners 9ct gold medal 1911/12, for a very reasonable price of £140. Very surprised I got it for that price.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

matt blue wrote:
I purchased the 1925 cup final pirate programme. Yes it was in poor condition but it was only £75.

If I was still employed and not a student bum I would of given the 25 cup final and ticket a go. Very cheap at £750

Matt, it's not a pirate as such. I think it was a programme produced by Cardiff City Council or the South Wales Echo and sold in South Wales rather than at the game. I paid a huge amount for mine, £40 I think back in 1987!
Tony
Goonerak

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

Whoever bought the pre-war Arsenal programmes got some right bargains. Whole seasons bought for £420.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: