Football Programmes Centre

Bob Langton playing for Glentoran
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bob Langton playing for Glentoran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueshearer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:48 pm 
Post subject: Bob Langton playing for Glentoran

Hi There
I believe Bob Langton played quite a few times for Glentoran towards the end of the second world war. Does anyone know where I can find out more about the matches he played in. Also did Glentoran produce programmes during this period. If so does anyone have any for sale

Many thanks

Bernie
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Bernie, I have consulted the Green Bible, otherwise known as Glentoran: A Complete Record by Roy France.

Bobby Langton signed in March 1945 and played six games and scored two goals in the remainder of the 1944-45 season, including an appearance in our 2-4 loss to Linfield in the Irish Cup final watched by 20,000 (which opened with both the Star Spangled Banner and God Save the King, as well as a two minute silence to mark the death of Franklin Roosevelt).

"...Glentoran had secured a new outside-left, Bobby Langton of Blackburn Rovers. Over 12,000 attended Langton's debut against Distillery when Peter Doherty also put in a reappearance for the Glens. Langton's two goals were enough to give us victory..."

Following the end of the war most guest players returned to England or Scotland, but Langton stayed on to make a further 16 appearances and score ten goals in 1945-46. Our playing panel also included goalkeeper Gerry Matier also ex-Blackburn and he made 13 appearances that season. The season ended trophy-less but will be remembered for the emergence of a young half-back, Danny Blanchflower.

Therefore, in total Bobby Langton made 22 appearances and scored 12 goals in the famous green, red and black. Sadly he never played at The Oval as the Glens were groundsharing at Distillery's Grosvenor Park at the time following the destruction of The Oval in the Belfast Blitz in May 1941.

The Glens were issuing at the time, although programmes from this era are difficult but not impossible to come by.

It's also worth noting that Langdon finished his playing days back in Northern Ireland with 41 appearances and 12 goals for Ards in the 1956-57 season.
blueshearer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:33 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for such a full answer. I didn't know Matier also played. I have just bought the Green Bible as a result of your post and look forward to having a browse. Does the Cup Final v Linfield come up for sale at all?

Thanks

Bernie

Sir Moses Hill wrote:
Bernie, I have consulted the Green Bible, otherwise known as Glentoran: A Complete Record by Roy France.

Bobby Langton signed in March 1945 and played six games and scored two goals in the remainder of the 1944-45 season, including an appearance in our 2-4 loss to Linfield in the Irish Cup final watched by 20,000 (which opened with both the Star Spangled Banner and God Save the King, as well as a two minute silence to mark the death of Franklin Roosevelt).

"...Glentoran had secured a new outside-left, Bobby Langton of Blackburn Rovers. Over 12,000 attended Langton's debut against Distillery when Peter Doherty also put in a reappearance for the Glens. Langton's two goals were enough to give us victory..."

Following the end of the war most guest players returned to England or Scotland, but Langton stayed on to make a further 16 appearances and score ten goals in 1945-46. Our playing panel also included goalkeeper Gerry Matier also ex-Blackburn and he made 13 appearances that season. The season ended trophy-less but will be remembered for the emergence of a young half-back, Danny Blanchflower.

Therefore, in total Bobby Langton made 22 appearances and scored 12 goals in the famous green, red and black. Sadly he never played at The Oval as the Glens were groundsharing at Distillery's Grosvenor Park at the time following the destruction of The Oval in the Belfast Blitz in May 1941.

The Glens were issuing at the time, although programmes from this era are difficult but not impossible to come by.

It's also worth noting that Langdon finished his playing days back in Northern Ireland with 41 appearances and 12 goals for Ards in the 1956-57 season.
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:40 am 
Post subject:

blueshearer wrote:
Thanks for such a full answer. I didn't know Matier also played. I have just bought the Green Bible as a result of your post and look forward to having a browse. Does the Cup Final v Linfield come up for sale at all?

Thanks

Bernie

It's on my wants list, but with a 20,000 crowd and the war nearly ended, I expect it shows up occasionally. Gary Spain will know more and in the meantime I'll investigate.

Hope you enjoy Roy's book.
garyspain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 am 
Post subject:

The 1945 Irish Cup final has appeared a couple of times in recent years. I didn't take note of the prices realsied but I'd expect it to fetch approx £200.

Never knew they played the Star Spangled banner before it.

Glens homes and aways from that period are pretty scarce as Sir Moses said. The homes were just single page issues called the Glentoran Newsreel. You could maybe pick some up for £30-£40 some would fetch a lot more. Hard to tell though as they don't appear too often. I think I failed to sell a Glentoran v Derry City 31/8/46 for £40 on ebay (he didn't play) a few months back.
blueshearer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:50 am 
Post subject:

Thanks both,
If you spot any up for sale that you don't need I would be grateful if you could give me a nudge.

Bernie
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: