Football Programmes Centre

Dedicated Auction Thread?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dedicated Auction Thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

i suppose this might be deleted as well but here goes

How would Tynie feel if a newbie popped up on here and said he had just inherited some programmes from America and didn't know what they were worth.
Included is the elusive Hearts v Manchester United from the 1960 tour of America
It was known as the battle of Britain game and has only appeared once,to my knowledge
I am not sure even if people know it exists and what it did sell for the once it appeared
Now lets say Tynie gave his valuation of say £500 and said he would buy it for that amount, and our newbie fell off his seat and accepted this significant amount of money for a single sheet.
Now i know it sold many years ago for £1000 and that was before the "rare" market took off
It could genuinely be anything at auction now.
Let's say i sent a pm and did a deal behind everybody's back at say £650.
Would that be fair enough and treated by Tynie,as just one of those things or would the cry for cards rise up again?
Do unto others as thy do unto thyself

You are kidding yourself if you think this forum is for people to help people find things cheap
It is, and rightly so, to share information on rarity and whether something exists
Most on here are not mates.
They are collectors and often in direct opposition with other members.
It may be great fun to help others find items that you have no interest in but i bet people wouldn't be amused if a competitor was alerted to something you thought you'd found yourself

Anybody ever been to an auction to view to find single sheet reserves and tickets "hidden" inside a modern programme that you would normally turn over without looking in

I have

I once went to an auction and found a competitor bidding on ebay tosh quality.
He shouldn't have been in at a fiver but he was in so i bid blind
We went up to £200 before he dropped out
The box was full of crap
Then suddenly a Manchester United reserve programme fell out.
It was from one of the difficult 1970's season
Of course i then inspected and shook every programme
Over 100 reserves fell out
I filled 40 gaps and used the rest for knacker tweaking
Should i have been alerted?
Should i alert others?

Bugger off
Magpie 67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

When you put it like that its a fair comment.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:

Bugger off

I seriously wish you would Wave
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:59 pm 
Post subject:

It's not a case of who should do what. It's a case of if you want to, you can let some other collectors know where they might be able to buy some programmes they're after - that's it in a nutshell.

Wouldn't an auction list be pretty similar to a list of fairs? I assume it wouldn't be essential to mention specific items (people could if they wanted), but rather the auction as a whole. It's similar to if a fair is on but for whatever reason it hasn't been promoted here - do we not mention it on this collectors' forum because we know someone out there will have less chance of competition? Or do we help each other out by giving people the chance to check it out for themselves (while also boosting the chances of sales for dealers, some of whom sell at auction these days too)?

It's just an opinion but it just seems odd on a forum not to help others add to their collections if someone sees an event worth mentioning, whether it's a fair or auction or whatever.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

No reason for your last post to be deleted Treble and for the record I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying.
At the moment people highlight progs for sale on ebay.
Now lets face it they don't do this if they intend bidding on it do they?
It will be the same with this suggestion, but! I don't see the harm in letting people do it if they wish in fact there is now way it can be stopped.
Of course some auction houses may wish to use it to advertise their auctions in the same way fair organizers do in that section.
Should that be stopped? No, of course not
If no one else knows about a fair you are going to then you will get the pick of whats on offer but no one seems to mind fairs being advertised so surely auctions should be able to be treated the same?

When I have used the word "you" please accept that I am not talking about anyone in particular.

Cheers, Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
It's not a case of who should do what. It's a case of if you want to, you can let some other collectors know where they might be able to buy some programmes they're after - that's it in a nutshell.

Wouldn't an auction list be pretty similar to a list of fairs? I assume it wouldn't be essential to mention specific items (people could if they wanted), but rather the auction as a whole. It's similar to if a fair is on but for whatever reason it hasn't been promoted here - do we not mention it on this collectors' forum because we know someone out there will have less chance of competition? Or do we help each other out by giving people the chance to check it out for themselves (while also boosting the chances of sales for dealers, some of whom sell at auction these days too)?

It's just an opinion but it just seems odd on a forum not to help others add to their collections if someone sees an event worth mentioning, whether it's a fair or auction or whatever.

Spot on with your last few posts on the thread.

As you may have noticed by now, this hobby is one of the most secretive and insular hobbies out there!

Anyway, thread is now open for those who wish to contribute.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

I guess it's different agendas at work, TT. Treble seems to enjoy posting about how he got something really rare for a song and to be honest I enjoy hearing about those tales of luck, just as I enjoy when it happens to me. I guess it's understandable he and others might be a bit defensive if they see something that might threaten this, but at the same time I think that finding an auction/fair/car boot that no one knows of is partly luck, and luck is not a right, it's to be enjoyed when it comes along as it rarely lasts for ever.

Pastpirate explained it pretty well a few minutes ago so hopefully others might now see the reasoning behind an auction list being available on a forum such as this.
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

Lets not forget that Programme Monthly also advertise forthcoming Auctions as well.

http://www.programmemonthly.com/whatson.php

As an aside, could admin add the GIANT ANNUAL YORKSHIRE PROGRAMME & MEMORABILIA FAIR at Pudsey Civic Centre on Saturday May 30th to the upcoming fairs section?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:32 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:
Lets not forget that Programme Monthly also advertise forthcoming Auctions as well.

How very dare they! I'll add that link to the thread Thumbs Up
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
I guess it's different agendas at work, TT. Treble seems to enjoy posting about how he got something really rare for a song and to be honest I enjoy hearing about those tales of luck, just as I enjoy when it happens to me. I guess it's understandable he and others might be a bit defensive if they see something that might threaten this, but at the same time I think that finding an auction/fair/car boot that no one knows of is partly luck, and luck is not a right, it's to be enjoyed when it comes along as it rarely lasts for ever.

Pastpirate explained it pretty well a few minutes ago so hopefully others might now see the reasoning behind an auction list being available on a forum such as this.

I think the overall point has been missed by a few in their rush to throw their toys out of the pram.

The thread is going to be about auctions that have significant portions dedicated to football lots. As you and PP point out, it will be no different from the upcoming fairs list - and as Rocky points out most of it is already freely available info.

Not everyone dedicates their spare time to keeping upto speed on when auctions are taking place. Some call that lazy, I call it a fact of life. Hopefully the thread helps to remind fellow members.

Nobody is suggesting this should be about searching out a small local auction which is selling all sorts of farm tat but has three lots of pre-war Man Utd aways with an estimate of £10 each, and then advertising it all over the place.

Nor is it about outing "sleeper" lots.

It's natural to keep that info to yoursel or your circle of contacts, but if someone wants to spill the beans it will happen anyway with or without the existence of the thread.

Some people just need to calm down.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:

As an aside, could admin add the GIANT ANNUAL YORKSHIRE PROGRAMME & MEMORABILIA FAIR at Pudsey Civic Centre on Saturday May 30th to the upcoming fairs section?

Rocky.
Could you send me the full address, Opening times, addmission fee and contact details for this one please?

And I will get the fair listed.

Cheers, Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:14 pm 
Post subject:

There you go fella, taken from Programme Monthly:

GIANT ANNUAL YORKSHIRE PROGRAMME & MEMORABILIA FAIR Saturday 30th May, Pudsey Civic Centre, Dawsons Corner, Leeds LS28 4TA, 11.00-2.30, admission £1, children free (Michael Hewitt)

It's a regular fair on the calendar, usually with a healthy attendance, hence I thought it was worthy of a listing.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: