Football Programmes Centre

Very old reserves- how much???
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Very old reserves- how much???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:02 pm 
Post subject: Very old reserves- how much???

Been offered a couple of Sheff Wed reserves from 1900 and 1903 respectively.

Baring in mind I haven't seen them, can only presume condition is ok.

How much would you be looking at for each?

Cheers

Jim

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
footysale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

just a guess from over reserve programmes i have seen from this year about £150-250 each depending on condition. What price have you been offered them at? has he got many for sale?
surfinjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

footysale wrote:
just a guess from over reserve programmes i have seen from this year about £150-250 each depending on condition. What price have you been offered them at? has he got many for sale?

Only 2 for sale. I would have thought around the £150 mark each myself, but been reliably informed from 2 sources, that only looking at £40 max each!

Seeing as I am swapping for £80 of programmes I'm not losing, but now need to decide whether to take the money and run, or take the programmes and try them at auction.

Might just have to play safe.

Jim Thumbs Up

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 pm 
Post subject: reserves

Hi there,
Not wanting to put a dampener on things but your valuation of £150-£200 is way off the mark. Of all the programmes out there the Sheffield ones are the most common. Yes a first team programme of that age could fetch £100+ quite easily depending on the opposition but a reserve programme would in my opinion make the £40-£60 price range ( i have seen circa 1904 Sheffield reserve programmes making this sum), so yes feel free to get for interest etc but don't expect to make a huge profit if you wish to sell on.
I would like you quite happily pay the asking price, but thought my opinion on the £150-£200 valuation may be appreciated. I have been right on a few things on this site, but as always should I be wrong please don't hesitate to point out my error as I don't wish to misinform anybody on this site.
Good luck, enjoy the programmes, should be interesting reading.
Best wishes
Holtie
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

Holtie is spot on...£50 max i would say unless it's v Man.U of course which i doubt. Nice items to have for a collection, but no real sell on value if you wanted to get rid of them.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 am 
Post subject:

A programme is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... Be that £50 or £150.

I know its a cliche but two weeks ago i sold a single sheet creased reserve team programme on ebay from 1973 for Bournemouth v Cardiff for £161 as thats what the buyer was willing to pay. I offered a second chance to the next bider for £156 as i had two of them and he accepted. The third highest bider only bid £9.

Next time this programme comes up on ebay i reckon it will go for a fiver but your just cant predict what someone is willing to pay for it!
tcno10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 am 
Post subject:

Holtie -

" Of all the programmes out there the Sheffield ones are the most common."

i will gladly buy any pre-war weds / united common programmes from you buddy.

let me know what you have........i have a few to swop as well incl 1920s finals.
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:55 am 
Post subject:

Craig...That is so true. It's amazing to think an single sheet from the 70s can be worth much more than a 1900 pre first world war programme. It's all about completing a "set". Obviously it would be a lot easier to complete a set of 70s programmes than pre war. And when you get two collectors after the same thing then prices go crazy. That might be my next project. Reserves from 70s and 60s. Pick them up cheap then maybe make a killing in the future
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm 

Hi all,
i think i need to remind everyone we are talking reserve programmes here which are single sheet issues, many taken from bound volumes.
I am more than aware that first team programmes reach £600 + if my collague wants to swap some sheffield reserve issues for 1920 fa cup finals i will be first in the queue.
My valuations are only my opinion, stuff is out there, I have a 1905 Liverpool Everton combined programme that would be happy to swap if anybody interested and somewhere some sheffield reserves from the 20s.
Keep me posted as to how you get on with the two reserve programmes, a nice find indeed.
surfinjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

Holtie

Taking everyone's advice into account, I decided just to take the money, rather than the swop.

I have nothing else like that in my collection, so can't really see the sense in having 2 reserve programmes, when I can spend the money on something else I really want for my collection.

Thanks for your input

Jim Thumbs Up

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
tcno10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

jim,

if you can get them , then i will buy from you tomorrow.
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 pm 

Hi again, without wanting this to drag on too much, I thought I ought to list an example of a sheffield reserve programme freely available at the moment. I just don't want anyone to think I am trying to mislead anyone.
Please see this link from Ebay for a 1905 issue. Best wishes
Holtie
ForestMick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

To be fair Holtie, i don't think you're banging on. I would be completely out of my depth in that era, reserves or not. That is why I use this forum, to get help and advice off people like you, and the oracle, Auchinleckian.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: