Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:10 am 
Post subject:

Ground No 45 White Hart Lane, Tottenham Hotspur

A dilemma, education for life, or education of life. School or the semi final of the League Cup. The football won, my old man voiced his dismay, 'Hang on', I countered: 'you bunked off to see Don Bradman, play cricket at the Lane'. He conceded defeat, the wife felt uneasy about it, but I convinced her she'd feel more uncomfortable buried under the patio. A comprimise was eventually reached, the dentist appointment was moved an hour and a half forward to 2 in the afternoon, they were only going to miss drama and that's not a proper subject is it?

At 2:30 we're heading south with molars intact, I now tell them their destination, I'd kept the pretence of not going for weeks. Macca's becoming apprehensive, not only did his best mate blow himself up in chemistry in the morning his 51 game streak without seeing United lose was on the line yet again.

We leave the snow behind in South Yorkshire, making good progress until the M25. The trip to the foot of the M1 and the jolly around the North circular was about as appealing as the prospect of doing an Al Jolson song at a Ku Klux Klan Karaoke night. So i followed the coaches east along the corridor of doom and finally came to a stand still at South Mimms. It was a blessing, I came off and proceeded through Barnet and reached the Haringey Irish Centre at 6.15. Its £10 to park but I'm happy in the knowledge that we've made it, which apparently was more than could be said for the team coach which took 90 minutes to go less than five miles.

Two Pints of wifebeater go down a treat, as the lads savour the atmosphere. Enjoy it lads, these occassions don't come around very often for Third Division clubs. I say with humility
'But we got to the semi in the Cup last year Dad' counters Danny, 'Good point Daniel',
He's now on a roll,
'we've been in 2 play-off finals in the last five years',
ok' I hold my hands up
'and three other FA Cup semi finals in the last 20 years',
'Alright, Alright I get the picture'.

From the Irish centre, Its a 10 minute walk to the ground, past the largest concentration of kebab shops I've ever seen. On the approach along Tottenham High street a dodgy looking government building looms into view, the type used by MI6, this turns out to be the ground.

Programmes purchased. The teamsheet would have to wait. There's an exclusion zone of 250 yards around the main reception area, there's no hope for us as Security is tighter than Barry Swash's wallet.

Into the ground, we're on the upper tier, its quite a climb, but its worth it, the view is fantastic, the ground taking on a entirely different facade than it does from the outside. Its a proper football ground and the away end is rocking. United perform with great credit, there's nothing between the teams until McEverley's moment of madness hands Spurs a narrow lead....literally.

As usual we're one of the last out, and by the time we've completed our descent, there's somewhat chaotic scenes outside in Park Lane. The street resembles the start line at Aintree, with horses all over the place. I usher the lads to the side, as coming into contact with a police horse is like colliding with the missus, neither is to be recommended. A large contingent of Spurs fans appeared to have gathered on the corner giving it large to the Blades fans, 'proper naawwwttty'.

Into the night we go, back the way we came, teamsheet abandoned,but not too concerned for once. Dan navigates us back to the Irish centre without any hiccups, which is good, because I once came out of Burnden Park at Bolton one night, and walked three miles in the opposite direction and found myself in some place called Lostock.

The downside of a trip to North London is the retreat back North. Macca's mumbling about his run ending and is giving driving instructions akin to an Italian tank commander 'Back dad, turn around go back'. The sat nav is no better, it takes me up the A10 towards Enfield, where its gridlock. I've had enough and at the first opportunity, 45 minutes later I throw caution to the wind by pulling off and heading west and then north which I can only assume was towards Cockfosters and then Potters Bar. This is much better until we hit the M1 and 4 lanes become 1 near Dunstable. I contemplate whether the A1 would have been the better option.

The boys aren't listening, they're fast asleep.

Arrive home at 2am. Enjoyed the night......not the result.

Tickets: £35 (1 x £25, 2 x £5)
Programme: £3.50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

Ground Number 46, Spotland, Rochdale

Ok boys, what's it to be, as I arrived home from work

'Man City/Barca or Rochdale/United??'

The response was......well......lets say it didn't quite reach fever pitch.

After a brief silence, Little Dan plumped for the ettihad, whilst Macca shrugged and mumbled something about staying home and 'Clash of the clans'.

'OK Let me put it another way', I explained with Putin-esque mannerisms 'Rochdale or 'stay home do homework go to bed'.

And with that we were off, over the snake pass, the usual standing around at Mottram for 40 minutes and then over to the M60 ring road around Manchester.

A last minute plea to divert to the Ettihad fell on deaf ears, and dad is described as 'tight'. Could be a long night.

The traffic is horrendous around Rochdale so I ignore the sat nav as usual and navigate an alternate route which works well. Arrive: 7:15pm. Found a little side road in the shadow of the ground. Having old fashioned floodlights can be a godsend at times. A brisk 5 minute walk up the hill and we're there, just need oxygen and a new exercise regime.

There's a nice reminder of the old days as a little bit of road with old fashioned cobbles sits on the brow of the hill and a healthly crowd have gathered outside the chip shop across from the away end.

Macca despite all his protests, about leaving the house, about the cold, about losing internet connection coming over the pennines, and about wondering if Swansea are playing, loves these types of taditional grounds. They instantly become his favourite ground. Tradition however is lost on his little brother. 'They've got Subbuteo floodlights! he says with increduality.

A trip to the main reception and the teamsheets are acquired and in we go. Its a new experience we're on the front row, the boys seem impressed with this. There isn't much footroom between rows but this doesn't effect us. The dale fans are quiet, to be fair there isn't many of them, United lead at half time with a humdinger from Sparky McNulty, a rare oasis in a desert of mediocrity.

Facilities are pretty standard fare, and so are United,
Remarkably, the men in yellow conjure up a footballing masterclass, a wondrous move seldom seen at our level, that ends with our full back drilling a daisycutter straight at the keeper who sportingly allows it to squirm underneath him and put us 2-0 up.

The mood is jovial. Attentions wander to the main stand and Dan counts ten televisions in the main suite. 'So that what they've spent all their money on'. Even the advertising hoardings don't escape judgement. 'Look they've got Arizona fried chicken here, but we get ours from Kentucky'.

United hoof out a clearance which would have landed in the third row of the stand, had it not been for the goalkeeping prowess of a bloke on the front row leaping like a salmon to clutch out of mid-air. A huge shout goes up for handball, he milked it for a couple of seconds before throwing it back. The lads turn to me 'Wow, dad you caught the ball'
'yes boys, you're dad's still got it' They start giggling in disbelief Laughing

Total command however, soon gives way to total panic as Rochdale pull one back with 15 minutes to go and we now can't put two passes together. Its never easy is it? We hang on for the points.

Out into the night, we're half way through the quest for the 92, although Dan reminds me that he's been to 47 as he toddled off to Millwall on his own in August.

Next stop: Unsure, but it might well be somewhere that the inhabitants eat coal for tea, have extra fingers and have intimate carnal relations with close family members Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tickets: £30 (1 x £20, 2 x £5)
Programme: £3
Refreshements: N/A. Stayed sober Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
There's a nice reminder of the old days as a little bit of road with old fashioned cobbles sits on the brow of the hill and a healthly crowd have gathered outside the chip shop across from the away end.

Always remember this chippie as being one of the top ones on our travels around the lower leagues.

I hope it is still as good as we prepare for our inevitable revisiting of these grounds.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:

I hope it is still as good as we prepare for our inevitable revisiting of these grounds.

Careful, Bispham, if Mr Oyston hear's defeatist talk like that he'll be attempting to instigate legal proceedings against you

Couldn't pass comment on the chippie but there was disappointment that it wasn't open after the game
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 am 
Post subject:

Next stop: Unsure, but it might well be somewhere that the inhabitants eat coal for tea, have extra fingers and have intimate carnal relations with close family members Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I do hope you don't mean Wales!!! Shocked
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 am 
Post subject:

Next stop: Unsure, but it might well be somewhere that the inhabitants eat coal for tea, have extra fingers and have intimate carnal relations with close family members

I thought you weren't playing Brighton this season!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Careful, Bispham, if Mr Oyston hear's defeatist talk like that he'll be attempting to instigate legal proceedings against you

It is a pity it has come down to the owners taking fans to court for messages posted on a football forum.

I am not sure he is bothered about defeatist talk though. Part of the plan seems to be League 1 or League 2 football for the foreseeable future.
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 am 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

It is a pity it has come down to the owners taking fans to court for messages posted on a football forum.

I am not sure he is bothered about defeatist talk though. Part of the plan seems to be League 1 or League 2 football for the foreseeable future.

Feel for the supporters of a once great club. The 220+ that came to GP must have thick skins and can, somehow, blank out watching what is being played out in front of them on the pitch. Going down to 10 men early, and 2-0 down, I applaud those supporters that stayed and watched it to the bitter end. I'm not sure the Bees actually had 42 shots on goal, but there were quite a few, and thanks to Joe Lewis in goal, he kept the score down. It's tough as a supporter to watch that, having seen the Bees play similar in 2006-07 recently. Somehow, no idea how though, you need the Oyston's out of Blackpool, otherwise it'll be another season of woe in 2015/16. Best of luck to the 'Pool, a club with history and one club I've never had a problem with! Wink

As for the 92, I've seen Brentford play at 78 grounds now - some clubs now in non league and some have new grounds too, but I'll check and see which ones I've not done again. - over the past 40 years. If we ever make it to the PL - maybe one day?! - then I'll be close to the current 92. Whether I ever get to complete the 92 is something I will look at in a few years when my 3 kids are old enough to survive without their dad & his wallet!! Even if they're 21, 20 & 16 years of age! Wink
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

wandererpaul wrote:

Feel for the supporters of a once great club. The 220+ that came to GP must have thick skins and can, somehow, blank out watching what is being played out in front of them on the pitch. Going down to 10 men early, and 2-0 down, I applaud those supporters that stayed and watched it to the bitter end. I'm not sure the Bees actually had 42 shots on goal, but there were quite a few, and thanks to Joe Lewis in goal, he kept the score down. It's tough as a supporter to watch that, having seen the Bees play similar in 2006-07 recently. Somehow, no idea how though, you need the Oyston's out of Blackpool, otherwise it'll be another season of woe in 2015/16. Best of luck to the 'Pool, a club with history and one club I've never had a problem with!

Cheers for the sentiments wanderpaul.

Next season will definitely be more of the same unless drastic changes are made at the top and very soon. Can't see that happening for a while though.

Back on the '92' thread, at least I may get on a couple of new grounds next season.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

Bispham, have you still got McMahon and Nosworthy in your back four?
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Unfortunately McMahon's still there, when he is not injured or suspended, but Nosworthy hasn't featured for a while.

In fact with them using over 50 players so far this season it has been difficult to keep tabs on everyone, and I don't know whether Nosworthy is still here.

Another relegation for McMahon is on the cards.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Unfortunately McMahon's still there, when he is not injured or suspended,

Laughing Laughing Laughing I spoke to our chairman up at the academy October 2013, and he told me he couldn't understand why we were in the bottom four.

I listened intently, how he described us as having the best full back in the League. I have to admit I was perplexed as nobody sprang to mind. Eventually, he bestowed that honour on Macca, and as a result he nearly got a faceful of bovril as I spat it out.

How Nozzer is a professional footballer, and made a good living out of it is one of life's mysteries. I will never forget him out drinking throwing the lolly about on the night he produced another dismal performance to all but assure us of relegation.

He could have laughed about it in the solitude of his own house if he was feeling that way inclined.
facup1939

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm 
Post subject: The Quest for the 92

One of the plus factors of being a Portsmouth home and away watcher over the years is the number of grounds that we have seen Pompey play League and Cup football on.
Due to our recent slide down the leagues I, along with many others, have seen us play on every current league ground bar Rotherham (although I have seen Pompey play at Millmoor on numerous occasions).
In addition, with all of the new grounds seen in the last 20 years or so, I reckon I have seen Pompey play on 8 old Premiership grounds, 9 Championship, 6 League 1, 5 League 2, and 14 (including 3 for Bristol Rovers) ex League clubs, making a total of 133.
This was only a quick count, so I may have messed up somewhere.
The only ones I missed that I could have seen are Springfield Park Wigan, Bradford Odsal, and Chester Sealand Road.
For Bradford, we turned up there only to find the game fogged off, and I could not get time off work when it was rearranged.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: The Quest for the 92

facup1939 wrote:
One of the plus factors of being a Portsmouth home and away watcher over the years is the number of grounds that we have seen Pompey play League and Cup football on.
Due to our recent slide down the leagues I, along with many others, have seen us play on every current league ground bar Rotherham (although I have seen Pompey play at Millmoor on numerous occasions).
In addition, with all of the new grounds seen in the last 20 years or so, I reckon I have seen Pompey play on 8 old Premiership grounds, 9 Championship, 6 League 1, 5 League 2, and 14 (including 3 for Bristol Rovers) ex League clubs, making a total of 133.
This was only a quick count, so I may have messed up somewhere.
The only ones I missed that I could have seen are Springfield Park Wigan, Bradford Odsal, and Chester Sealand Road.
For Bradford, we turned up there only to find the game fogged off, and I could not get time off work when it was rearranged.

Spot on.....started following Pompey in the 70's division 4 only to see us climb the leagues, win the fa cup, and descend the leagues again....back to division 4 where it all began!! Have visited loads of grounds and have some great memories. Loads of ground doubles old and new visited, arsenal, Man City, Leicester, Derby, Brighton, saints, etc ......actually enjoying my football more despite the level we have reached!!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

Just 9 grounds where Blackpool have yet to play, so with the inevitable relegation looming closer, it is encouraging to see there are likely to be at least 2 new grounds to visit next season and depending on relegation/promotion issues there could be 3 more.

Would swop this any day though for decent owners and a little bit of investment.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
Just 9 grounds where Blackpool have yet to play, so with the inevitable relegation looming closer, it is encouraging to see there are likely to be at least 2 new grounds to visit next season and depending on relegation/promotion issues there could be 3 more.

Would swop this any day though for decent owners and a little bit of investment.

We know how you feel..........

We were controlled by crooks (never faced the courts)
yet still passed the fit & proper test......

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
pompey gaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm 
Post subject:

Spot on Pete ,the only consolation over the last few years are the glamorous trips to the likes of Morecambe, Fleetwood York,Rochdale,Mansfield Carlisle etc, great fun days out and better value for money,a lot of the Premier league hangers on seem to have stopped going to away games
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Unfortunately McMahon's still there, when he is not injured or suspended, but Nosworthy hasn't featured for a while.

Strange that McMahon and Nosworthy are both now out on loan. Wave Wave
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

Ground Number 47, Oakwell, Barnsley

Aye, Its a harsh wilderness out there, Thurnscoe, Darfield, Wombwell and Goldthorpe,area's as welcoming as a dose of ebola. satellite communities that orbit the hellhole that is.... Barnsley

On arrival we're directed into a car park opposite the official away one, by people with hardly any teeth, to my surprise the fair wasn't even visiting town. The little un's expressed concern but were soon comforted by the news that nobody in Barnsley had any teeth, even the women. A number of friends have just arrived and are suggesting that the Reliant might not be there by 2pm. They've all parked in the official car park. Secretly I too had misgivings but when in Barnsley, live like the Romans,...dangerously. The car park is literally a 'stone's throw' away from the ground or as this was Barnsley a 'brick's throw'.

There's a bloke stood on the corner with a lived in face and a chirpy demeanour, he is adorned with a huge barnsley scarf and he's giving everyone the finger. That Dickie Bird he's a one.

With just under a hour to kick off (12:15) we take our chance and stroll around to the Ponty end, the car park is huge with spaces for 400 cars and 12 whippets.

Teamsheets procured we're back off to civilisation at the away end.
In we go and let again We are near the front, third row slightly to the right of goal.

There's a warm friendly atmosphere eminating from the hosts.

The programme, with the usual manager columns and a page from the chairman doesn't mention any welcome to Sheffield United, and its supporters. That's nice.

Toby Tyke the cheeky mascot comes over to the away end and rubs his backside in the direction of the United following. His card is marked.

Then, There's a a young lad with a jacket and baseball cap in the Barnsley section nearest to the away end. He ain't bothered about the football, for the first part of the game he's constantly running up to the barriers suggesting that we're all w******. He's loving the attention and he's finally led away by the stewards along with his I can only assume was his dad. I must say for a 7 year old he was quite active. Bless him.

United play like Barcelona, Chris Basham plays like Messi and we lead at half time 1-0.
During the half time interval, Toby gets his come uppance as he's floored by sub Jay McEverley's pile driver that him straight in the kipper.

Barnsley are very poor, they must be we're looking like Real Madrid now, and when we go 2 up, everyone's happy apart from the bloke and his missus on the front row who get hit by a smoke bomb/flare thrown from a far. I'm not right impressed as it missed Maccas head by about 18 inches. Yes, unfortunately we do have some braindead supporters too.

With 20 minutes remaining the riot police move into position, there are more coppers than there are married women in Barnsley. Seriously, I counted at least 10. Its way over the top from SYP...but still, the overtime will come in handy I suppose.

Its a good result and we're a two minute walk from the car. Several friends are already in their cars looking smug, waving at us, but there's no where for them to go, its gridlock. There's no rush for us but we're out from the opposite side in 10 minutes and on our way home, getting back within half an hour.

All in all a good day out, but with it being so close and an early kick-off, if didn't feel like an away day.

At 3:30, I'm having a beer on the patio and I get a couple of calls from my travelling friends, asking if I was still in the car park, as they were all still stuck there. That'll teach them.

Tickets: £33 (1 x £23, 2 x £5)
Programme £3
Beer: None on sale in ground
Guide to breeding ferrets £1

Next Stop: Leyton Orient
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

Reminds me of a well known Barnsley phrase.

'Tin tin tin'

Which translates as 'It isn't in the tin'. Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27

Jump to: