Football Programmes Centre

FA Cup - The Trophy
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FA Cup - The Trophy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm 
Post subject: FA Cup - The Trophy

Hi All

I bought a photo off EBay of the trophy and on the plinth, which has an engraved panel, the latest visible team name is 1923 Bolton Wanderers, which is in the bottom line and to the right of that I can just about make out another year, presumably 1924 and Newcastle.

However, I'm no trophy expert and I wondered if this trophy itself was used for long or was it copied? I find the FA website confusing so can't be sure which version this is.

On the plinth, you can see Old Etonians plus WBA, Villa, Man Utd, Tottenham, etc.

So what sort of date might it be, it's not dated but is stamped Central Press with some nice handwriting on the back? I know one was stolen in Birmingham in 1911 so presume this was the replacement for that?

If anyone is interested in researching I have scanned it to 300 dpi and can email that to you.

And it's for sale if anyone wants it - please PM me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

I'd imagine it is the 1911-1991 version.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, guess so - but the plinth is interesting me.

I'm wondering if when the trophy was stolen in 1911, did they take the plinth too? So is this the 1911 plinth with all the previous winners engraved, back to 1871? Or is this the original plinth?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm 
Post subject:

The first trophy was stolen in 1895 but I can't see anything about the replacement trophy being stolen as well.

The 2nd trophy was used up to 1910 and is the one, I think, in the National Football Museum.

Your photo will be the 1911 version and presumably all previous winners were added to a new plinth.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:39 am 
Post subject:

The early FA Cup (David Gold owns it I think) is very different to th current design and size, so the 1911 version would be a totally new plinth.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: