Football Programmes Centre

Football League application brochures
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football League application brochures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 pm 
Post subject: Football League application brochures

Not programmes, but applications from clubs that were making an application to join the Football League before automatic promotion from the Conference came in.

Very often there were multiple applications, sometimes double figures of clubs applying for that elusive spot, so there are bound to be many more lying around than the few I have.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Superajm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:31 am 
Post subject: Re: Football League application brochures

Auchinleckian wrote:
Not programmes, but applications from clubs that were making an application to join the Football League before automatic promotion from the Conference came in.

Very often there were multiple applications, sometimes double figures of clubs applying for that elusive spot, so there are bound to be many more lying around than the few I have.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I know we were applying from at least 1952 and I think there may be one or two before that
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

Have you read 'Denied FC' by Dave Twydell. It gives details of all the clubs that applied for election to the football league and how many votes they received.

Some interesting names listed there like
Argonauts (home ground Wembley Stadium)
Castleford Town
Cradley Heath
Fairfield Athletic
Liverpool Caledonians
Mid-Rhondda
Newcastle East End
Prescott Cables
Wakefield City
Willington Athletic

Interestingly Wigan Athletic made 25 unsuccessful applications before being voted in.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

It's a great book, as are most of Dave's works. Fascinating reading.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Not a brochure but still an application by Manchester Central to break the City-United monopoly in 1931, here is the original paperwork sent out by their chairman with all the reasons they hoped would show they had a real chance once in the league that they could flourish, also a programme of theirs as well from 1929-30 season a "triple header" no less!, and tomorrow this programme will be 85 years old to the day.

Interesting facts but both City and United joined forces to keep Central out and within a year or so they went out of business....

Click on any of the images within this link and you can down load it all or simply view it.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEGMPqE

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

Fantastic Collection Leslie.......its like visiting a library and museum all in one go!! Clap
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil wrote:
Fantastic Collection Leslie.......its like visiting a library and museum all in one go!! Clap

Kind Words
much appreciated Nod Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: