Football Programmes Centre

What is the most sensible amount of programmes people have?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What is the most sensible amount of programmes people have?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJF73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm 
Post subject: What is the most sensible amount of programmes people have?

Hello all,

I have nearly 300 programmes and am thinking I am reaching a stage where I have a lot. What is the sensible amount of programmes people have? It's quite addictive collecting them and I was wondering if people have a cut off point and then streamline their collection to allow for more coming in?
Cheers
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:05 pm 
Post subject:

I am third time around so decided to go from 1960 backwards...sensible size to store and holds value...

Then someone puts the entire Argyle collection home and away ( bar 5 three of which I have) 1960 to last season on ebay...

300KG of programmes arriving by transport on Monday morning ...

Shelves to build this weekend!

P
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

I would thought that most collectors on this site have 1000's

& would love to downsize BUT to sell programmes from 1970 to date, there's no value.

You only got to look at ebay

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
grantham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

Around 3000 in my Grantham collection

Another 100,000 in my research collection, thats excessive, but haven't yet found the best way to turn stock around quickly, ebay is losing sellers and buyers by the truckload due to it's constant changing of the fees structure
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:42 pm 
Post subject:

About 4,000 rangers. I have often thought of giving up collecting friendlies but haven't been able to do that.
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

A sensible collection would be small/medium and worth a fortune , packed with rare , sought after items which could be sold on if needed in an instance.
A non sensible collection would be massive, full of boring massed produced items that have no value whatsoever.
But then, what has common-sense got to do with collecting anything ... Very Happy
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:07 pm 
Post subject:

I have a non sensible collection then Wullie. At my last count I had nearly 2.5 thousand. 99% Bristol Roversso pretty much worthless. But priceless to me.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

A contrary view to Wullie's is that it's completley sensible to collect your club's H&A programmes going forwards and going back. You'll end up with 60 per season and a few thousand if you go back to the early 50s like my York collection does. If they are worth something financially, great, but that's not what it's about for me.

I've said on here previously that you shouldn't primarily collect for profit, and definitlely don't expect your current season issues to be worth anything. Items were also mass produced back in the good old days, just not as many survived. Spend what you can afford, and write it off mentally.

The pleasure for me is having a variety of sets, enjoying the thrill of the chase every now and then, and being able to store them effectively with easy access to any item without them taking over the house.

My sets are:
York H&A just about complete back to 53/54, plus homes back to 52/53
York teamsheets & tickets as far back as I can get them
120 + City scrapbooks back to the late 60s
First/last matches at opening/closing League grounds back to 1946
Man Utd in Europe 1956 onwards, progs and teamsheets
Other games I've been to
Finally, full run of Soccer Review/FLR back to 1965

Plenty of variety, plenty of history, but no random stuff to clutter up the storage ! Smile
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Forgot the 80+ York City badges too......
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

I agree most collectors like to collect sets . It's quite logical I guess. The trouble is where can you stop ? Post war onwards , reserves, friendlies , youth team games. Collections for most have not a monetary value but a comfort , joy value. I bet many people feel a sort of disappointment when a set is completed and soon move on to another. So really there can never be a sensible amount a collector should collect. It's all down to storage space, wallet size and the fanaticism of the person collecting.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

300 is probably only about 6 seasons worth of your club's home/away issues.

If you decide to collect your club back to, say, 1945, then you can do the arithmetic!

You need:

a) a lot of space
b) disposable income
c) an understanding wife/girlfriend
d) the decisive state of mind to do without (c) if (c) gets in the way of said collection
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

(c) will get a right hook if she interferes, having said that, that is considered foreplay in Glasgow.
Laughing
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:54 am 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
About 4,000 rangers. I have often thought of giving up collecting friendlies but haven't been able to do that.
To be truthful, I'm more likely to give up collecting the current league and cup fodder and only get the friendlies of Villa as they at least have a bit of variety to them. The modern issues are difficult and expansive to store, have no value at all and are just filled with so much space filling that this could be my last season of "first team" Villa progs.
SJF73

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

I have read all of my programmes cover to cover at least once. Do all of you collectors who have thousands of programmes manage to read all of them cover to cover or do you only get the time to browse through each one when you are collecting your sets? Cheers
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

SJF73 wrote:
I have read all of my programmes cover to cover at least once. Do all of you collectors who have thousands of programmes manage to read all of them cover to cover or do you only get the time to browse through each one when you are collecting your sets? Cheers

I manage to read most of the new ones, but not everything in the programmes are of interest to me
grantham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

I read all of mine (3000), as I used them initially for research. Also if I ever sell any of my stock, I normally read them at the time of posting as well, just to glean more info.

To be fair, pre-1980 there isn't much too read in a Grantham programme, having also edited for a number of years, I have written several seasons of the articles I have re-read (cringe)
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:
I read all of mine (3000), as I used them initially for research. Also if I ever sell any of my stock, I normally read them at the time of posting as well, just to glean more info.

To be fair, pre-1980 there isn't much too read in a Grantham programme, having also edited for a number of years, I have written several seasons of the articles I have re-read (cringe)

The problem with reading all of them is that i've bought too many bulk lots. If I sell some Rangers news, I usually have a read at them first.
OurManInVanc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:43 am 
Post subject:

ooops, just totalled up my lists and I have 3800
Rothmans Year Books
Cigarette Cards
etc etc
corneli_blue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:59 am 
Post subject:

If we're being sensible, one, and it's with the old newspapers ready for recycling.
theskystrikers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:58 pm 
Post subject:

It'd be at least 2000+

I probably collect for the wrong reasons "technically"

I like looking through programmes for the little lost "social" gems

A strange ad here, a Wife and wean profile there, the Coventry City "Girl of the Match" here, the domino results at Dundee United there

I don't think I'd downsize unless I had to
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: