Football Programmes Centre

The Grounds you should have done.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Grounds you should have done.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigearl79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:59 am 
Post subject: The Grounds you should have done.

Finally doing Bradford on Saturday. Based on the frequency we have played them and the distance, I should have done this before. Which is the one for others you should have done sooner or done at all?
notreve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:57 am 
Post subject:

As a ground hopper i regret having missed visiting Huddersfield's Leeds Road and Wigan's Springfield Park. Don't think I was particularly aware they were on the move til it was too late!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Personally.....Deepdale. Preston North End

For the last five seasons I've tried in vain to get to Preston.

I've lost the tickets on the day of the game, been away twice, blocked in Sheffield by snow and this season's game was on a Monday night when I was working. perhaps its not meant to be Confused

The little uns...

Macca....Goodison Park. Me and my youngest went, but Macca said it was too cold.

Danny....Yeovil...He so wanted to go to the play-off semis a couple of years ago..but we were away, following by phone isn't the best.
I told him we'd go this year, but its on a tuesday night in April
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Superajm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm 
Post subject:

I still can't believe I've not been to Gillingham, Millwall or Hartlepool
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
Post subject:

I always regret not doing the Den, Fellows Park, and Eastville.

They've gone now, and I had a few chances to get there in the 80s watching York but never took the opportunity.
Crying or Very sad

I've always wanted to get a game in at Workington too, as an ex league ground.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:05 pm 
Post subject:

Maine Road, Boothferry Park, Burnden Park, The Baseball Ground.

My days as a regular away fan were from about 74 to 80 and we didn't play these teams much in that period, and I also played a lot of cricket so missed the start & ends of some seasons.

I've tried to cross off a few more in the last few years - Yeovil Town being the stand-out for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:17 pm 
Post subject:

Managed Muirton Park before St.Johnstone moved, as well as Boghead (Dumbarton), Bayview (East Fife), Broomfield (Airdrie), however regret not ever getting to Douglas Park, Hamilton or seeing football at Shawfield before Clyde were evicted. As far as England is concerned, glad I saw the last season at Plough Lane.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

My days as a regular away fan were from about 74 to 80 and we didn't play these teams much in that period, and I also played a lot of cricket so missed the start & ends of some seasons.

I've tried to cross off a few more in the last few years - Yeovil Town being the stand-out for me.

Maine Road then and Now Sad

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

As a nipper growing up it was always a big ambition of mine to "do the 92," and by 1990 I had been to 84 of the 92 league grounds.

Almost all were with my two teams too (Newport County fan in the main but lifelong closet Liverpool fan as well).

Sadly I all but lost interest after that what with the original County going bust, and need loads now with all the new grounds continually springing up, not to mention most I had visited now being completely unrecognisable to when I went there.

I have no interest whatsoever in these soulless, identikit new stadiums if I'm honest, which given that I can't afford to do many away games nowadays, is probably a good thing.
I'm so glad I did the bulk of them when they were so full of individual character and history.
Forever be grateful I stood on immortal terraces like the Kop, the Shed, the Holte, and even that great upper terrace at the old Wembley.

Two I never ever did were Leeds and Newcastle.
The likes of Roker Park I'd seen both my teams play at, but Newcastle was always one of those "I'll do next year."
But sadly never did.

I don't know about others on here, but I only ever classed it as a visit if I saw a match there too.
For example I went to Maine Road to see Fleetwood Mac in the 80s, but never added it to my list of grounds visited until I saw Liverpool play there in the FAC of 87/8.

Of course with County's chequered history over the last 25 years, I've also been to stacks of non league grounds now too.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

hydemaine wrote:

Back in the 80s, we used to go to the Maine Road Social Club for a night out after County had played at places like Rochdale etc.

The Supporters Coach would head there after the game and we'd all get changed into decent togs on the bus, before getting royally leathered at City's Social Club.

Can't recall the chap's name, but the bloke who ran it was an ex City player who was originally from Newport, so he always made us especially welcome.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Post subject: city

@littlewiggy He was the famous Roy Clarke
nozer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
As a nipper growing up it was always a big ambition of mine to "do the 92," and by 1990 I had been to 84 of the 92 league grounds.

Almost all were with my two teams too (Newport County fan in the main but lifelong closet Liverpool fan as well).

Sadly I all but lost interest after that what with the original County going bust, and need loads now with all the new grounds continually springing up, not to mention most I had visited now being completely unrecognisable to when I went there.

I have no interest whatsoever in these soulless, identikit new stadiums if I'm honest, which given that I can't afford to do many away games nowadays, is probably a good thing.
Suprised you did not give Molineux a plug there fell in love with it on my first visit has a young Evertonian in the early 60s
I'm so glad I did the bulk of them when they were so full of individual character and history.
Forever be grateful I stood on immortal terraces like the Kop, the Shed, the Holte, and even that great upper terrace at the old Wembley.

The likes of Roker Park I'd seen both my teams play at, but Newcastle was always one of those "I'll do next year."
But sadly never did.

I don't know about others on here, but I only ever classed it as a visit if I saw a match there too.
For example I went to Maine Road to see Fleetwood Mac in the 80s, but never added it to my list of grounds visited until I saw Liverpool play there in the FAC of 87/8.

Of course with County's chequered history over the last 25 years, I've also been to stacks of non league grounds now too.

Serprised you never gave Molineux a plug there i fell in love with the ground on my first visit back in the early 60s has a young Evertonian.

Recall visiting Maine Rd same era and looking at the road sign outside the ground and could not believe that i was actualy standing in Maine Rd.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: city

hydemaine wrote:

Roy Clarke is one of these chaps I believe

hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 pm 
Post subject: City

yes and then there was really Kippax Street and Platt Lane....they were named because they were actually on them and no one could think of something fancy to call them Love
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

5th from the left as you look at the pic
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

110 different league grounds, but regret not doing The Den.

Other grounds I didn't quite go to as the last game we played there was just before I started travelling to aways are

Leeds Road Huddersfield
Odsal, Bradford
Newport County
Fellows Park Walsall
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 pm 
Post subject: Re: city

hydemaine wrote:

Yep, that's the guy HM, I had an inkling it was Roy something.

Ta mate.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 pm 
Post subject:

nozer wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Suprised you did not give Molineux a plug there fell in love with it on my first visit has a young Evertonian in the early 60s

But sadly never did.

Serprised you never gave Molineux a plug there i fell in love with the ground on my first visit back in the early 60s has a young Evertonian.

Recall visiting Maine Rd same era and looking at the road sign outside the ground and could not believe that i was actualy standing in Maine Rd.

I almost did mention it too Nozer, I stood on that huge South Bank terrace in Aug '85 when County played at Wolves, and despite the place being in general disrepair at the time (two sides of the ground completely closed), I remember feeling completely in awe of Molineux mate.

I spent ages gazing around thinking about all that history, the great Wolves of the Fifties, Billy Wright etc.

That South Bank terrace really was something else, goodness knows what it was like when full.

So sad to think of all the wonderful history that has disappeared from grounds in my lifetime.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

Manged to miss two games in Prague in one weekend in about 2000. In the days before ubiquitous wifi we had planned to get to games at Viktoria Zizkov's frankly brilliant old school ground, but apparently arrived a day late. And we were sitting in a restaurant when we remember Slavia were kicking off early.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:56 pm 
Post subject:

hydemaine wrote:

That image of Maine road full must have Been when United were playing their home games there 1946-49! Laughing Wave
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: