Football Programmes Centre

New members?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New members?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvsgooner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

As a coincidence one of the 24 programmes I am looking for is Leyton Orient v Gorleston Dec 1951 FA Cup at Highbury. You wouldn't have a spare would you? Just any help would be appreciated.
Stew1881

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

afraid am still after a copy myself , again its one that does appear from time to time Sportinggold have sold a couple back in 2012 which went for £90-00 and £100-00 .

think one went on ebay not so long ago for around £80-00.

This was the third match between the sides.

Orient v Gorleston 24-11-51 2-2 11,796
Gorleston v Orient 29-11-51 0-0 4,473

At Highbury Gorleston v Orient 4-5 12,013

sounds a great collection you have to only need 24!
dvsgooner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:23 pm 
Post subject:

OK, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there can't be many Gorleston collectors around so I appreciate the help!

The price reflects my earlier estimates...

And yes, my collection contains of just about 2000 Arsenal homes (and neutrals at Highbury) since 1946. I'm mostly looking for postponed issues and rare friendles now, so this Orient one is probably the least rare that I'm looking for.
Stew1881

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:28 pm 
Post subject:

there's not too many of us Orient collectors out there either ! like you I suspect the Highbury/Arsenal connection makes it more collectable.

good luck tracking down the last 24 .Nice collection!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Here are the stats for new members since the forum began Bazz.

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 78 23
2009 18 15 10 32 47 49 49 48 32 44 51 25
2010 39 52 29 34 39 38 40 30 27 37 57 48
2011 70 60 34 40 62 91 65 58 66 73 49 46
2012 62 68 48 64 53 28 20 34 36 36 20 36
2013 53 54 116 71 71 70 131 66 50 68 61 40
2014 59 56 62 54 43 43 32 49 52 60 46

2009: 420
2010: 470
2011: 714
2012: 505
2013: 851
2014: 556

I'm assuming that these figures are skewed by the multiple spambot registrations that we suffered from over the last couple of years.

It's true that probably less than 10% of registered users on any forum are regular active users. The majority just read or just have a quick look and never log in again.

I do still think that this is an intimidating and hostile environment sometimes for new members. I don't blame them if they run a mile after receiving a "welcome".

As I said a few weeks ago, time to lay down some basic rules for new members to follow to avoid those that can't help themselves piling in.
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

I joined a few months ago and now check in almost daily, albeit only post occasionally.

I think the problem with a forum like this is that while we're all in the same field, we're burrowing very separate rabbit holes. I love reading the stories of Hull v Orient in the 62-63 FA Cup because of the sheer wonkishness of it all, but as a Glentoran collector I have nothing to add. The same will be true of 99% of club-specific posting here.

The more general threads about the hobby are less common and, I imagine, have been done to death over the years.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:17 am 
Post subject:

Sir Moses Hill wrote:

I love reading the stories of Hull v Orient in the 62-63 FA Cup because of the sheer wonkishness of it all, but as a Glentoran collector I have nothing to add. The same will be true of 99% of club-specific posting here.

Me too.
I probably read mostly everything that gets posted on here because I enjoy the hobby and marvel at the depth of knowledge so many possess. But, as you say, nothing to add so no need to comment.

I know arguments take place on here from time to time but I'm a vinyl LP collector as well and I can tell you that programme collecting is remarkably polite and successfully self-policed in comparison to that particular jungle!

Ever got into an argument with a record dealer about whether an LP's condition is EX or just VG+? It's no fun, believe me.

Programme collecting has always struck me as quite an introverted pastime and, though it's dangerous to generalise, I wonder if most of us are introverts by nature and not particularly gregarious in person or online?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Programme collecting has always struck me as quite an introverted pastime and, though it's dangerous to generalise, I wonder if most of us are introverts by nature and not particularly gregarious in person or online?

I think that's a fair assumption. I was talking about this to another collector recently about some of the "characters" you encounter in the hobby and we agreed there is a fair number of social misfits! However that's probably true of most hobbies, whether it be train spotting, stamp collecting, bird watching, airline sick bag collecting etc.

That said, any sort of "spotting" appears to be sociable, as does groundhopping to an extent (ie "collecting" grounds), there's a group aspect to it. Programme collecting is the opposite, fairly secretive and not very sociable on the whole as you can do it without leaving the house!
silkman1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 am 
Post subject:

Speaking of airline sick bag collecting I had a friend who placed a KLM bag in the back of his car instead of a nodding dog for years.

Get My Coat
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:52 am 
Post subject:

It's quite interesting to think of collectors as introverts. When the people like Leslie and Treble display their collection they are considered as show offs by others. And I think they are probably the two categories.
The introverts whose collections never see the light of day until they pop their socks , and the others who get pleasure from showing their collections to others , either by flickr or a museum or whatever.
There is a SAFC museum at the moment. A guy who wants to have a permanent museum of Sunderland memorabilia. At the moment it's mobile and visits schools and shopping centres etc. Most of the stuff is oddly match worn shirts and player donated items. Not much in the way of historical documents. If I lived in the area I would certainly like to be involved. Sadly the club have no interest.
I know there must be at least half a dozen collectors with stunning collections who'd have no interest in the venture either.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

MEMBERS POSTS
1904 ..Members have not posted 0 posts
2402 .. Members who have only posted 1 post
2642.... Members who have only posted 2 posts
2920.... Members who have only posted 3 posts
mancitymark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 pm 
Post subject:

In my opinion new collectors are put off posting on here these days as they are quickly shot down when they do so, As this forum grew it became a hunting ground for the more experienced dealers who are all too quick to jump on posters as soon as they post, There are plenty of examples on here if you look.

If anything I would say this site would put potential new collectors off taking up the hobby.

Collecting is a hobby for me that I've had for many years and find it enjoyable still to this day, I had a spell where my passion had died out for a while but as my business has grown its enabled me to collect again and seasons that I may not have been able to afford in the past, I'm no dealer and not even experienced on Man City programmes which are the only ones I collect but if you shop about on Ebay you will pick up programmes cheaper than you are quoted for on here, Having said that I have managed to strike some great deals with dealers on here recently on job lot of City programmes which I'd prefer to buy to get a new season going.

I would imagine I've spent over £600 in the last couple of months or so getting my hobby going again and I'm thoroughly enjoying collecting again but I'm happy to take it or leave it. Thumbs Up
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:48 pm 
Post subject:

3,000+ posters put off posting.. I dont think so, man up and post otherwise whats the point in joining a FORUM.
Perhaps its the loney hearts forum they need.

Last edited by BAZZABAGGIES on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

The forum has 3,625 members currently according to the front page.

I'd say less than 50 are active regular posters.
Drvonshineck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:39 am 
Post subject:

Interesting topic.

I felt compelled to reply as I have been away for a wee while, so I'm looking at the site with fresh eyes.

One of the things I noticed was most of the activity seems to be in the general chit chat section, the sales threads are not interesting as I remember and there was a few longer threads which caught my eye only to fine it was long because of a dispute.

As has been pointed out each collector is fairly independent and even in cases of collecting the same club have their own respective goals.

For me this is an interesting aspect to the hobby and although we may not always be able to add the discuss, it is often enjoyable to peruse.

Anyway long may the forum continue.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome back Devonshrek I hope your time spent away was pleasurable. After what you said about me i wish it was longer. Very Happy
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

Drvonshineck wrote:
Interesting topic.

I felt compelled to reply as I have been away for a wee while, so I'm looking at the site with fresh eyes.

One of the things I noticed was most of the activity seems to be in the general chit chat section, the sales threads are not interesting as I remember and there was a few longer threads which caught my eye only to fine it was long because of a dispute.

As has been pointed out each collector is fairly independent and even in cases of collecting the same club have their own respective goals.

For me this is an interesting aspect to the hobby and although we may not always be able to add the discuss, it is often enjoyable to peruse.

Anyway long may the forum continue.

Welcome back Drvonshineck Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: