Football Programmes Centre

When did FA Cup final programmes become mass produced?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
When did FA Cup final programmes become mass produced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corkkoppite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 pm 
Post subject: When did FA Cup final programmes become mass produced?

Was it during the sixties that final programmes became mass produced? As from this decade on they plummet in price . Also where the programmes printed before this only sold at Wembley to the people attending the match or would they be available in other outlets?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:12 pm 
Post subject: FACup Final programmes

FACup Final programmes have always been produced in huge numbers. A lot of those pre war were pulped for the war effort, hence their scarcity.
My father worked for a company called Peter Dixon's in Grimsby who recycled paper donkey's years before it became ecologically provident to do so. I used to get lots of DC comics (Superman, Batman, etc) in the mid 60's - retrieved from the skips there. I assume thousands of football programmes suffered the very same fate, and again, affetcs their scarcity and therefore their price.
In 20 years time, 1960's programmes will become the 40's and 50's of today. By then they'll be 70 years old and on the verge of becoming real antiques.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:14 pm 
Post subject: FACup Final

Have just noticed my last posting. Peter Dixons did not recycle paper donkeys, they recycled paper, donkeys etc, before any one writes in!
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:13 pm 
Post subject: Re: FACup Final

Auchinleckian wrote:
Have just noticed my last posting. Peter Dixons did not recycle paper donkeys, they recycled paper, donkeys etc, before any one writes in!

Dam ! Laughing

I don't think the programmes from major teams of the 60s will be as valuable as the earler ones in relation. The printing and paper means the will be a lot more still around. Mind up if we get an upserge in collecting football programmes one day who knows.

And these cardboard tripe programmes they issue now will never die I suspect. I long for a return to simple paper issues with B&W images that you can rollup and stuff in your pocket Smile
corkkoppite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the info Smile
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian,

Reading through do you really think that 60's programmes will gain value? I see you as the all knowing sage of this site, and in twenty years time I'm 65, could my pension be sitting on shelves neatly tucked away in folders?

It's just that Watford's early sixties programmes, despite being nearly 50 years old, are still worth little more than a couple of quid each, less in most cases, with very, very few worth much more, yet those from the early fifties fetching maybe ten times that, will not 60's programmes always be common and comparitively valueless, regardless of how old they become?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:40 pm 
Post subject: 60's programmes

All knowing sage? Have been called a few things in my time, but never that1
It's all subjective, I suppose, and subject to collecting trends. People buy brand new items all the time to stash away as "modern day collectables" in the hope of securing financial gain at some time in the future. I think the likes of MacDonald's plastic give away toys are one of the best examples of this - limited exposure, they're only available for a few weeks at a time, they're iconic, and they break, hence probably making a fairly safe market about 10 or 15 years time when young people who played with them as toys, have disposable income to collect them.
There's no doubt at all that 1960 seems to have been a fairly solid defining line in programme collecting, with the 50's being more collectable by a country mile. Yet trend are happening slowly, and 1950's programmes are nowadays fairly common due to the advent of ebay, and even some 1940's items don't fetch the prices they did 10 years ago, especially the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, who always used to attract a premium price (established by the dealers) and can now be picked up cheaply.
Will Watford 60's programmes ever become part of your pension pot? I wouldn't hang my hat on it, but I still think that trends come and go, and the 1960's is probably the most iconic decade of the 20th century, and who knows...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: