Football Programmes Centre

Football Programme Classifieds
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football Programme Classifieds
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:17 am 
Post subject: Football Programme Classifieds

Good morning all

We are trying to get something going to rival eBay with Football Classifieds Online (http://thesecondhander.co.uk/footballprogrammes).

It is free to sign up, and there is only one payment option (£1 per ad if you want it to be featured, if you don't its totally free). No 10% of sale price, and never any annual membership. What's the catch, i hear you ask. Well, nothing we just need lots of members for this to work and for this to be an alternative to eBay for listing programmes.

Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. If you like it, please spread the word!

Thanks for your time
Mark
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 am 
Post subject:

Mark,

hard to judge the buying and selling part of the site at this stage.

But thoroughly impressed with the layout and if people list their stock on the site then my first impression is success.

Looking through the categories and I think most are covered - what if you want to sell a collection spanning many categories - is their an option for (using eBay terminology) bulk sales etc?

I will list my spares on the site when I get 5 minutes - hopefully at the weekend.

Good Luck with the venture - very impressed is my first impression.

Regards

Kenny

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:45 am 
Post subject:

Thanks very much Kenny

Really apprecite your time and the bulk lots is a great idea. Will add the category today so people can list their bundles. I think it may be worth a slight redesign for this section as normally, for other categories, Home and Away teams are required - listing single programmes means this is no problem. For the bulk category, I will change this for featured teams and let the lister enter a bunch of teams in here. This will ensure the search function will still pick these up. So, if there are some Leeds programmes in a bunde with other teams, if someone searches for Leeds, they are still returned.

Sorry for the technical nonesense, its been a few years since I was in the programme collecting (wife and kids saw to that!) so just want to make sure the site works for everyone.

Thanks again
Mark
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:00 am 
Post subject:

Unless anyone says I can't, I will use this thread as a small changelog as well Very Happy

Categories added: Bulk Listings, Wanted ads.
Added Autographed check box to Notes section
At this stage, I am keeping the categorties for the above 2 relatively simple. If you think either needs to be drilled down by year grouping, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who has visited and signed up. Hopefully it will meet everyones requirements and not step on too many toes Smile

Thanks
Mark
sellsell39

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Rosser, its a very good website, easy on the eye as well.

I have listed a item just to test, and the process was quite simple and didn't take too long.

My only question/reservation for you would be :-

If an item is listed on Ebay and does not sell, why would the samde item sell on this website instead ?

Time will tell I suppose, but feedback amongst our community is important once all FPC members have tried and tested out the website.

Many Thanks & Regards. Wave
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

Good luck with it mate, a vibrant alternative to eBay would be great. In the early days of Ebay there was yahoo auctions which worked well. Currently there is eBid which sadly does not seem to work very well. Lots of items for sale but seems like very few buyers. Not sure if there are any lessons you can learn from ebid to make your site more successful but good luck.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

Your name, address and contact number are missing unless im missing something.

Good luck if it works.
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:18 pm 
Post subject:

are there alternative options for the buyer to pay other than the dreaded PayPal? I generally take payment via card (WorldPay) for online sales - is this option available to sellers?
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks everyone for checking it out and your comments/questions. I will answer them as best as i can:

@sellsell39 - its good that you have listed and found the process to be relatively simple and not too time consuming. Making this as easy as possible is the aim as I am more than aware of how labourious listing items can be! As for why would items sell on this site if not on eBay. This is the big question. I have been spreading the word on social media and the internet, and am planning on contacting some of the collectors fairs to see about advertising the site for maybe an events section on the website, or for some other deal. The aim of this is to drive interested buyers to the site. My thought process is 200 people looking to buy programmes is better than millions of visitors who aren't interested. However, i do appreciate a site with hundreds of sellers and no buyers is pretty useless to all concerned. As always, people spreading the word is always useful as well Very Happy time will tell, but i am willing to invest the time and effort to see if we can get this off the ground. I'm also working on the google ranking, which will obviously improve with the more visitors it gets (good old google catch 22 logic). this will hopefully increase traffic from people googling football programmes.

@goonerboy - thanks mate. I will do everything to make sure its not just "another one of those sites" Smile

@BAZZABAGGIES - sorry for the simple question, but do you mean those details are missing off the listings, or are missing from somehwere else? It's been a long day!

@blackburncollector - I am looking into alternatives as we speak as I know paypal isn't perfect. The idea was to get it up and running with that as a quick and nasty, then look to develop the site as it (hopefully) grows.

finally, I just want to thank everyone again as the response to what I thought could be a crazy, David v Goliath idea has been really good and positive. I'm off for a lie down now as this could well be the longest message I have ever written! Smile

Thanks again, and please, please share with everyone you know.

cheers
Mark
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 pm 
Post subject:

rosser42 wrote:
I have been spreading the word on social media and the internet, and am planning on contacting some of the collectors fairs to see about advertising the site for maybe an events section on the website, or for some other deal.

Maybe an advert in programme monthly would be a cheap and affective way of reaching a large audience of people that would be interested in the hobby, they are reading programme monthly after all Smile

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe an advert in programme monthly would be a cheap and affective way of reaching a large audience of people that would be interested in the hobby, they are reading programme monthly after all Smile

Perfect! This is the kind of information you guys possess, that I need! I will look into doing that as it is another way of captivating the much sought after buyers! Its probably cheaper than the Facebook adverts, which only seem to attract the throw-away browsing visits Smile
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

blackburncollector wrote:
are there alternative options for the buyer to pay other than the dreaded PayPal? I generally take payment via card (WorldPay) for online sales - is this option available to sellers?

Apologies, had a total brain fart in the long message I smashed out earlier! Very Happy

Changelog: Added "Worldpay, Google Wallet and Other (specified in listing)" for payment types. Changed input from drop list to checkboxes.
This should allow sellers to take payments however they wish. Just tick the boxes that are relevant to you, and hey presto!

Cheers
Mark

Further changelog: added social sharing buttons at the bottom of every ad. Anyone can share the ad on a whole host of social media sites
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

The questions im asking about uou are

1 WHO ARE YOU.. What is your name
2. Phone number
3. Address.

Unless im missing them on your website i cannot see them
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:13 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
The questions im asking about uou are

1 WHO ARE YOU.. What is your name
2. Phone number
3. Address.

Unless im missing them on your website i cannot see them

Cheers, I was being dense. Now added all details to my profile on the website.

Thanks
Mark
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

it has either been a long day or I am being thick, but I cannot see how purchase an item from the site?

Confused
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

blackburncollector wrote:
it has either been a long day or I am being thick, but I cannot see how purchase an item from the site?

Confused

Purchases and payments are handled outside of the site, mate. Think of this like Gumtree. The seller advertises, and the buyer then contacts them from the site. How that deal is done and settled is up to the 2 individuals. This offers more flexibility for sellers than being tied to the payment gateways the site can offer art the moment.

For example, if you list a programme for sale, you get someone interested, you can then send them to your website to make the payment through WorldPay.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers
Mark
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

Looks ok for selling spare items, but no offers lists? I'd think people would generally like to sell rarer items as best offer. So if your list is just the general stuff you see on eBay for 99p week after week I'd very much doubt there won't be a huge interest. And if it does attract quality items I'd expect the prices to be on the higher side, as a general sale . Probably the seller would start high and then maybe knock 10 percent off after a while if no interest etc. Do you plan to list programmes sold and prices gained as a sort of reference?
In principle the site could be very good starting point for the novice collector trying to build up a collection.
But if I was honest I seriously doubt it would attract the attention of established collector's unless rarer items were offered , almost certainly in offers lists. I am not sure Programme Monthly would be to happy to list an advert for your site if you were in direct competition with them. The market place adverts in PM are one of it's most interesting bits. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
rosser42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Looks ok for selling spare items, but no offers lists? I'd think people would generally like to sell rarer items as best offer. So if your list is just the general stuff you see on eBay for 99p week after week I'd very much doubt there won't be a huge interest. And if it does attract quality items I'd expect the prices to be on the higher side, as a general sale . Probably the seller would start high and then maybe knock 10 percent off after a while if no interest etc. Do you plan to list programmes sold and prices gained as a sort of reference?
In principle the site could be very good starting point for the novice collector trying to build up a collection.
But if I was honest I seriously doubt it would attract the attention of established collector's unless rarer items were offered , almost certainly in offers lists. I am not sure Programme Monthly would be to happy to list an advert for your site if you were in direct competition with them. The market place adverts in PM are one of it's most interesting bits. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Thanks Wullie. I have made the attributes of the price field more transparent on the listing page. Sellers can enter "Offers" as a price which should then allow them to list in any category, but have buyers send them offers. I have created a test listing with this as an example if anyone wants to see how it looks. You can also enter Offers in the search field and I have set this to return all items with Offers as a listed price. This will hopefully allow the serious collectors to quickly hit the rarer items, rather than the run of the mill ones.

Once sales are being made, I am happy to create a new page with anonymous price guides taken from the sales of listed programmes. This will only be of use over time, but it certainly is a good idea.

I appreciate a request for an advert in Programme Monthly could well result in a flat 'no', but nothing ventured, nothing gained Smile

Thanks
Mark
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

Hi nice idea, but as previously said it would need the quality items on there rather than run of the mill dross, also under fa cup heading it would be nice to have a non league in fa cup proper section, good luck.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

I cannot see why Programme Monthly should refuse your advert.

They accept adverts for auctions, fairs, dealers lists / catalogues all of which are in competition with them.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: